How to find tenant new address location

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

Here's an excerpt from a strategy I got from a blog called "The Dark Park" that I have used successfully in the past:

...After digging through their website, I came across the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service Domestic Mail Manual. In Section 507, I found Exhibit 1.5.1 which is titled, “Treatment of Undeliverable First-Class Mail, First-Class Package Service and Priority Mail”. There are a number of options, but if you look at “Return Service Requested”, you will see that you can find out the new address without the addressee ever finding out.

All you have to do is mail an envelope to the person’s old address with “Return Service Requested” TYPED 1/2 an inch above the delivery address...After two weeks, I got the original letter back with the person’s new address printed on a yellow label. They have to have a forwarding address, or you will just get the letter back without any information.

That’s all there was to it. They guy has no idea I did this little bit of detective work and he will probably be shocked when he sees a letter from my attorney arrive in his mailbox. It didn’t even cost me anything.

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2018 · 52 posts · 55 votes
    6y

    Hi Billy, Is this a tenant of yours who moved out and you need their new address for the purpose of returning a deposit? Would you mind elaborating on the context?

  • Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Need to send them the repair bill for the damage they cause. They gave me their E-Mail address, but no reply back.

  • Real Estate Broker · Greenville, SC · Member since 2013 · 269 posts · 141 votes
    6y

    There's a great company called Forewarn you should check out (www.forewarn.com). You can type in the tenant's name and phone number, and it will pull any addresses associated with them. I've successfully used it to track down a tenant's new address when they refused to provide me with a forwarding address. In addition to addresses it will pull automobiles, criminal records, etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Here's an excerpt from a strategy I got from a blog called "The Dark Park" that I have used successfully in the past:

    ...After digging through their website, I came across the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service Domestic Mail Manual. In Section 507, I found Exhibit 1.5.1 which is titled, “Treatment of Undeliverable First-Class Mail, First-Class Package Service and Priority Mail”. There are a number of options, but if you look at “Return Service Requested”, you will see that you can find out the new address without the addressee ever finding out.

    All you have to do is mail an envelope to the person’s old address with “Return Service Requested” TYPED 1/2 an inch above the delivery address...After two weeks, I got the original letter back with the person’s new address printed on a yellow label. They have to have a forwarding address, or you will just get the letter back without any information.

    That’s all there was to it. They guy has no idea I did this little bit of detective work and he will probably be shocked when he sees a letter from my attorney arrive in his mailbox. It didn’t even cost me anything.

    Good Luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    You can send a FOIA request to the Postmaster where the rental is located (vacated).  If the people left a mail forwarding address, the Postmaster must supply you with it.  Good luck.

    Other than that, try a skip-tracing company, or do what @Wesley W. suggests.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.