Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
First, a note that all public water and sewer in Baltimore County is provided by Baltimore City -this in't really an issue but just a heads up in case you're under the impression that your situation is unique.
Second - what @Jamie Bateman said. You can't actually transfer bill into the tenants name (it stays with the homeowner), but anyone can pay it. Personally I forward the bill to my tenants and they pay it. If a subsequent bill shows that the previous one has not been paid then I will start paying the bill and invoice the tenant, plus a late fee. I do NOT change the billing address to go directly to the rental home because I want to open each bill and confirm that they are being paid (since they are in my name and will become liens on the property if not paid).
You have to keep the water bill in your name but anyone can pay the bill (or even just a portion of what is due). I have my tenants pay the bill online, and I will sometimes send them the link to make it easy for them.
I know some landlords and property managers pay the bill and then invoice the tenant but I see no reason to be the middle man.
Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
First, a note that all public water and sewer in Baltimore County is provided by Baltimore City -this in't really an issue but just a heads up in case you're under the impression that your situation is unique.
Second - what @Jamie Bateman said. You can't actually transfer bill into the tenants name (it stays with the homeowner), but anyone can pay it. Personally I forward the bill to my tenants and they pay it. If a subsequent bill shows that the previous one has not been paid then I will start paying the bill and invoice the tenant, plus a late fee. I do NOT change the billing address to go directly to the rental home because I want to open each bill and confirm that they are being paid (since they are in my name and will become liens on the property if not paid).
Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 287 posts · 205 votes
6y
@Mike Geier I'm finishing up paying the DEC bills on my properties for water as we speak. It gets harder if you have a small multi-properties due to the bills not being divided for each unit (I have not had a chance to explore if this is even possible). Make sure you make the tenants aware of how you will conduct the billing and execute. I went away for training and didn't send the bill for water initially as my properties were leased and rented and came back to bills that needed attention.. Definitely cutting into my cashflow. I opted to wait until the re-leasing period before implementing a "bill back" system.
Has anyone noticed the fact that the city bills the water, but the county bills you a sewer and water distribution fee on your county taxes, presumably based on the amount of water usage? Any way to reconcile all this in order to bill the tenant?
Have anyone figured out how to get back the sewer/water distribution charges on county taxes from tenants? Additionally, I haven't had a water bill online since March 2020. I'm afraid it will stack up and will have to charge tenants that in one lump sum whenever it does come out. Anyone else having the same issue?
Germantown, MD · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
4y
The issue with Baltimore is as others have noted, the sewer charge is tacked on to the property tax bill. The bill that tenant's pay for water through the water bill that comes every few months is only the water portion, not the sewer. The sewer is added to the annual property tax bill which is a big flaw. I simply absorb this and pay the sewer bill as part of the real estate tax bill. The only way to make the tenant pay would be to take the current sewer charge, as assessed in the current year, divide that by 12, then have a lease addendum stating that the tenant must pay rent + this sewer charge. I have not done that. Anyone else do anything different?