Tenant vacated, how not to dispose of items left behind

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 124 posts · 29 votes
13y

article says that the Landlord stated that they did not post the ad.

My bet is that the tenant was angry and posted it when they moved out knowing what would happen.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New York City, NY · Member since 2012 · 77 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    Wow. A landlord encouraging trespassing on his property? Weird.

    I heard of a friend of a friend saying they once posted an ad telling people to knock on their ex-husband's door at 8 a.m. on a Saturday for free things. People showed up. The ex-husband was woken up early over and over again.

    I knew someone who moved by doing this. They posted a photo of their apartment, and said "come get it all." They were present giving the stuff away.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I think this landlord learned a valuable lesson. Probably will consider a different approach next time.

  • Real Estate Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 124 posts · 29 votes
    13y

    article says that the Landlord stated that they did not post the ad.

    My bet is that the tenant was angry and posted it when they moved out knowing what would happen.

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    I'd agree. I don't see any landlord in the world posting something like that. If they did, they would have showed up at the house to make sure people didn't tear the place down (which is what it sounds like actually happened).

    No landlord on the planet would want a bunch of craigslist people roaming free in their house. I would bet it was the tenant hoping that they could get someone to pick up their junk so they didn't get hit with a security deposit fee for cleanup.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    On the other hand, I can't see the police telling the media that it was the landlord unless they knew. Landlords can act as foolishly as tenants. Just not BP landlords ; )

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.