Short Term Rental Regulations in Des Moines Iowa

Short Term Rental Regulations in Des Moines Iowa

NYC · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 9 votes

Hi folks,

I'm considering signing a management contract with Kasa, which does short term rentals.  Are these type of management companies --- Kasa, Common, Zeus -- regulated differently than Airbnbs?

Greg

0Reply
28 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Darson GranthamBusiness Member
    Realtor · Des Moines · Member since 2018 · 304 posts · 253 votes
    6y

    @Greg Hills I'm not familiar with contracts regarding short term rentals that you listed above.  But the title of your post being short term rentals in Des Moines and I do have some insight here.  

    In the Des Moines market, the short term investment market is still VERY unregulated and not supported by city government There are people that are doing it in town.  The cit council is discussing the topic very regularly and still has a lot of work to do to build comfort for investors to buy properties in the area for a short term rental business model. 

  • NYC · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Hey @Darson Grantham thanks for the reply. Yes, seems like regulations are still in flux. 

    Upon further research, the asset that is zoned commercial and there is 'path of right' to a hotel permit, which is how the mgmt company operates.

    If anyone has understand of path of right hotel permits in Des Moines, would love to hear from you. 

  • Darson GranthamBusiness Member
    Realtor · Des Moines · Member since 2018 · 304 posts · 253 votes
    6y

    I'm going to plead the fifth regarding the hotel path.

    @Mitch Coluzzi typically has a good eye on City of Des Moines planning.

  • Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 230 votes
    6y

    @Darson Grantham

    This is one area I'm not versed well enough within to voice an opinion. Sorry guys! I'll try to take a gander but outside of my scope right now hehe

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    @Darson Grantham, any update on current regulations in the Des Moines area? I'm looking at a condo that seems like a good opportunity but getting bogged down trying to understand current regulations. Thanks! 

  • Darson GranthamBusiness Member
    Realtor · Des Moines · Member since 2018 · 304 posts · 253 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Steven Bolt:

    @Darson Grantham, any update on current regulations in the Des Moines area? I'm looking at a condo that seems like a good opportunity but getting bogged down trying to understand current regulations. Thanks! 

    Each specific city within the DSM metro has their own rules, but in general ifnit has a city rental certificate, it can be a short term rental. 

    I actually started an STR hospitality company to run these for OOS investors looking to buy in Des Moines.

    Happy to discuss property specifics, also condo’s can have their own “rules” you’ll need to navigate and risk they change their rules in the future.

  • David WilsonPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    I have a place in Beaverdale area of Des Moines that I would like to start using for Airbnb. Is anything different with regulation in the last 9 months? I looked online and it was not very clear! I do have an active rental certificate.

    Specifically, I'm wondering about the basement. It is finished and has a 3/4 bath. Can I put a bed down there for extra people? It is a walk-out with a full window as well. The whole thing can't technically be considered a bedroom since it is also the access to the utilities/laundry room.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.