How do I convince my landlord to let me sublet ?

How do I convince my landlord to let me sublet ?

Chicago · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 14 votes

So, I'll soon be moving to Indianapolis and I want to buy a decent house with the intent to air b&b the extra space. However, there is a possibility that I might have to end up renting a house if I can't find one that meets my criteria. I don't know how they would feel about me air b&b-ing extra rooms if I just rented the house. Has anyone that renting a house tried to air b&b the extra space without the landlord catching on? Thanks for the responses.

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Jennifer T.Pro Member
Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
6y

From looking at your picture, I'm guessing that I am a lot older than you.  There might still be hope for you, if you listen to my wisdom gained from experience.

This may not be what tv and movies like to portray.  But you will get FAR more ahead in life by having a good character and living responsibly.  Which includes not being a POS who has no intention of living up to the contracts/agreements he signs.  Karma IS real!  Some of the most pathetic and miserable people I've met in my lifetime are the ones who are constantly trying to con, avoid their responsibilities, and take advantage of others as much as they can.  That is no way to live and most of it catches up to them.  Making their life that much harder.

So, if you want to rent a house with the intent of AirBnb'ing some of the rooms, just be upfront about it.  I wouldn't be surprised if you find landlords/PMs who are fine with that.  I suggest you include an enticement.  Like a higher security deposit and/or a cut of the net profits.  That's the way to do it!  Make it a win-win for them also.  Then you don't need to worry about them finding out and evicting you in a hot second.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Do not airbnb a property without your landlord's consent period.  Landlords hate that, because they take on almost all the risk of a short term rental and none of the reward.  It can also get you kicked out and liable for any damages the airbnb people cause, not to mention I imagine it is against Airbnb TOS.

  • Property Manager · Golden, CO · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Definitely do not do this. Many jurisdictions have laws and regulations against non-owners providing short term rentals. Not only would you be violating the TOS, but potentially the law as well. This could get you and the property owner into a world of trouble. My suggestion is to just rent yourself a modest property, and keep saving funds until you find the perfect property to purchase. 

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Prove you are a trustworthy tenant. There are those who will be against the notion regardless, but that's the first step.

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    6y

    From looking at your picture, I'm guessing that I am a lot older than you.  There might still be hope for you, if you listen to my wisdom gained from experience.

    This may not be what tv and movies like to portray.  But you will get FAR more ahead in life by having a good character and living responsibly.  Which includes not being a POS who has no intention of living up to the contracts/agreements he signs.  Karma IS real!  Some of the most pathetic and miserable people I've met in my lifetime are the ones who are constantly trying to con, avoid their responsibilities, and take advantage of others as much as they can.  That is no way to live and most of it catches up to them.  Making their life that much harder.

    So, if you want to rent a house with the intent of AirBnb'ing some of the rooms, just be upfront about it.  I wouldn't be surprised if you find landlords/PMs who are fine with that.  I suggest you include an enticement.  Like a higher security deposit and/or a cut of the net profits.  That's the way to do it!  Make it a win-win for them also.  Then you don't need to worry about them finding out and evicting you in a hot second.

  • Hartland, MI · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    If you do this without their consent, you are putting yourself in serious legal hot water. Just google the sheer number of legal cases where literally this exact thing happened. Approach them, if they say no, then no dice, find something else. 

  • Chicago · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Thank you all for your advice and wisdom!

  • Rental Property Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 623 posts · 155 votes
    6y

    You didn't mention your criteria for a home to buy other than wanting to do short term rentals with part of it.  PM me and let me know the rest of your requirements.  I might be able to help.

  • Chicago · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Actually, I learned that in some cities the tenants actually have the right to sublet by law.

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @DuBois Othero Toy just because you can doesn't mean you should, also the landlord in most places does not have to renew your lease and if you are running an AirBnB without their consent they won't.

  • Chicago · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Aaron K. I mean of course, but the point of this post was how to convince my landlord how yo let me sublet. Not " should I try to sublet a property I dont own". If others can do it and run it through their landlord, then I can too.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Talk to your landlord. Some are fine with subletting, especially in certain areas. I’ve found some of the bigger rental companies are more open to this than the small mom&pop.

    You may want to offer an additional fee, sort of like a pet fee, to cover additional wear and tear. $100/mo might make it worth it to both you and your landlord.

    Just some ideas to consider.

  • Chicago · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Mike McCarthy

    That's exactly what I was thinking. I definitely need to implement a way that makes it beneficial for both parties.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @DuBois Othero Toy:

    So, I'll soon be moving to Indianapolis and I want to buy a decent house with the intent to air b&b the extra space. However, there is a possibility that I might have to end up renting a house if I can't find one that meets my criteria. I don't know how they would feel about me air b&b-ing extra rooms if I just rented the house. Has anyone that renting a house tried to air b&b the extra space without the landlord catching on? Thanks for the responses.

     Would be a terrible idea for a landlord to let you do this. Highly doubt it's worth your time trying to bark up this tree.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 139 posts · 140 votes
    6y

    @DuBois Othero Toy

    Try looking for a lanlord that will allow you to Airbnb. If they don't allow that (probably due to liability issues) ask to sublet and see how that goes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.