Loud tenants, too much traffic. Any other suggestions?

Loud tenants, too much traffic. Any other suggestions?

Jennifer T.Pro Member
Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes

Hey All--

Thanks in advance for the help, sorry I'm longwinded!  I have a duplex where one side is larger (4 bed/2ba) than the other (2 bed/1ba).

I had some fairly new tenants move into the larger unit in Sept. last year (2019) and some new tenants just moved into the smaller side a couple weeks ago.  Both are on year-long leases.

The "larger" family wasn't causing problems when they first moved in.  But around Oct., the previous tenant in the smaller unit started complaining about noise and too much in/out traffic.  She was a pot-stirrer who always had trouble paying her rent anyway...in fact, I evicted her in Dec...so I didn't necessarily pay her a lot of mind with the complaints, but did text the main tenant for the large family a couple times to please be mindful of neighbors.

However, when we were doing showings, I noticed they did have loud music blaring a lot.  We repeatedly had to keep knocking on the door and remind them to keep it down.  That their noise should not be extending past their walls. Part of the problem seemed to be there were too many people there all the time.  Though it's hard to prove there are people living there that aren't on the lease.  I let the main tenant know when the new tenants would be moving in and, especially now that there would neighbors, they had to get their noise back under control.

The new tenants started complaining about the noise and traffic.  At this point, I'd already given multiple verbal/text warnings.  I sent her another one.  Summarizing what the previous tenant said, what I'd witnessed, and what the new tenants were complaining about.  I also gave her a heads up that I would be posting a 5-Day Cure or Quit (and I did).  About both the noise and that only (named) tenants could be living there.

The noise got better.  But it's still a problem too often and the constant back/forth traffic did not abate.

It's frustrating for me, because they are good tenants otherwise.  And it seems like such an EASY thing for them to fix.  Except they aren't.  There is a language barrier that I largely combat with Google Translator.  But I also think the main tenant's reading comprehension is lacking, on top of that.  Only because I know there have been some things I've said very clearly in her language, that she still didn't seem to understand.  But it does make it harder because I can't just call her on the phone and have a conversation.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I can say/point out/anything/something that worked for you to get them to just be good neighbors?  I think some of it is a perspective issue also.  It's like they don't even recognize what is/isn't appropriate noise levels.  It is bad.  Neither my previous or new tenant are being too sensitive.  I'm pretty much now at the point where, as much as I hate to, I'm ready to post a Notice to Vacate, due to lease violations that have not been complied with.  I realize, technically, I could go straight to eviction court because it hasn't been "cured".  But I'd rather give them a 30-Day Notice to Vacate to hopefully have things go more smoothly and give them some time to move. 

I did suggest to the previous and current tenant that they call the police for a noise complaint.  Maybe the family would listen to the police, since they aren't listening to me or their neighbors.  But neither one wanted to do that.

0Reply
32 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Assuming your lease has some language around not negatively affecting neighbors ability to enjoy living in their half of the duplex you give them a 14/30 day notice for lease violation (or whatever your state requires).  If they correct the situation, great.  If not you evict.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes
    6y

    So what if the police arrive there and talk to the tenant,  and 2 days later,  you hear the complaint, will you still put up with this situation? I hope that things can change but if not then evict.  It's so sad to hear this,  because the tenant  isn't respecting the neighbor. I hope your good tenants don't leave your property. Because it can happen. Hope this helps.

  • Crystal AbingPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    You say they're good tenants, but they also haven't respected your noise policies or cure-or-quit notice. Good tenants go beyond just paying the rent.

    If you truly believe it's a comprehension/language issue, hire a translator or ask one of their family member's who speaks both languages to translate. (Google Translate, in fairness to your tenant, is not a great translator.)

    Another option is to call the police/sheriff's department and ask if they have a translator on staff or someone they can recommend. Usually, they do for their own translation purposes.

    You've already sent a cure-or-quit, and they've ignored it. You can send one more/try the translator if you really don't want to lose them, but the next step is an eviction notice.

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jacob Sampson:

    Assuming your lease has some language around not negatively affecting neighbors ability to enjoy living in their half of the duplex you give them a 14/30 day notice for lease violation (or whatever your state requires).  If they correct the situation, great.  If not you evict.

    I do! In fact, I used some of the same verbiage in my 5 Day Cure or Quit notice.

    Her daughter, who is young (18) but still an adult, speaks English fluently. I suspect it's the daughter and her buddies who are the main culprits. The main tenant's brother speaks English fluently also, I've talked to him a few times. I sent her a last ditch e-mail today. In English. Plus the Google Translation.  Basically that not much has changed and, while I'm open to listening to how she can get this resolved, it needs to happen now or I am not being left with any other choice but to serve them with a Notice to Vacate.  

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Crystal Abing:

    You say they're good tenants, but they also haven't respected your noise policies or cure-or-quit notice. Good tenants go beyond just paying the rent.

    If you truly believe it's a comprehension/language issue, hire a translator or ask one of their family member's who speaks both languages to translate. (Google Translate, in fairness to your tenant, is not a great translator.)

    Another option is to call the police/sheriff's department and ask if they have a translator on staff or someone they can recommend. Usually, they do for their own translation purposes.

    You've already sent a cure-or-quit, and they've ignored it. You can send one more/try the translator if you really don't want to lose them, but the next step is an eviction notice.

    Totally agree!  They are not good tenants...I more meant they are good tenants, other than this.  But the "this" is certainly major enough that it cannot be tolerated any further, without an immediate change.  Which, I know, is super unlikely.

    Some of it is just the frustration of why does it even have to come to this!  It's not that hard to be a good and considerate neighbor.  The majority of people are.  And that, even in the face of the threat of having to vacate, they're still just blaring their music at full volume with the front door wide open.  I don't understand it.  But I guess it's not the first time and certainly won't be the last time a tenant has surprised me with behavior that makes no sense.

    It's also a good lesson that background checks aren't always the "be all and end all".  The main tenant lived at her last residence for over 10 years out-of-state (I did meet her in person, multiple times), though not with the same family group.  She was already in the process of moving out, so her landlord had no reason to lie.  He gushed about her and what a great tenant she was.
     

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.