Where to find age-restricted 55+ rentals for 'seniors'?

Where to find age-restricted 55+ rentals for 'seniors'?

Investor · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I've owned and been managing rental apartments for nearly two decades. Never was into renting age-restricted units. This year we're building several standalone rental cabins and have been trying to advertise to the 55+ crowd. (There is more 'backstory'... we intend to begin offering additional services like daily meals, housekeeping, etc, in the future, but for now, it's non-nursing, non-medical, simply standalone rentals.) The Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995 (HOPA) seems to specifically permit this sort of rental. However, ALL of the major for-rent aggregators that syndicate with Realtor.com say it's prohibited and they will not allow it, under Fair Housing Rules. Seems counter-intuitive and discriminatory to me. Yes, I've heard to see where other 55+ rentals are advertised, however, it seems most places mostly work with more advanced care, like nursing, assisted living, etc.  Does anyone have suggestions on where to advertise non-medical, non-nursing, non-assisted living, simply age-restricted 55+ rentals?

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

Maybe if you redefine it as 55+ "sanctuary housing" & it would NOT offend :)

We have so many up here that push the 55+ communities on Craigslist etc etc so I fail to see why it's deemed discriminatory?? 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    Following.  I'm trying to do the same thing and wondering if you could imply certain benefits and features in your ads?  I'm researching how to build cost effective cabins with "age in place" features.  Are you doing modulars, stick built, kits?  Square footage?

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    In BC, I know of lots of places with age restrictions any where from 40+ up to 55+.  I have one that is 55+ and I advertize it in the same places as I do my other rentals.

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Our plan continues to evolve, but as of now, they're 'stick built' small cabins on a HUD certified modular frame - with a huge walk around screened porch, perched up on a Western North Carolina mountain. But simply trying to advertise them seems challenging. It seems senior housing advertising hasn't caught up with the impending senior housing boom. Few places allow links, ads, etc, or cater to more advanced services, or only allow folks over 55+ years old to post (LOL), or this or that. Exposure seems the biggest challenge. In our area, we could rent for more money, have more prospects, and nearly no vacancy, if it was non-age restricted. We're trying to do the 'right thing' (for us) by catering to this market, but sheesh... it's certainly not like advertising a regular rental.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Maybe if you redefine it as 55+ "sanctuary housing" & it would NOT offend :)

    We have so many up here that push the 55+ communities on Craigslist etc etc so I fail to see why it's deemed discriminatory?? 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Try advertising as senior housing. However; it would probably be better to contact the Department of Real Estate in your area and ask what wording is allowed. You might also email Zillow, and the other major sites and ask what the policy is. If you can't use Seniors or 55+, maybe Boomers, or ? I've considered doing a similar project, but it's so expensive to build here in CA that smaller units are hard to justify. I'd love to see what you're doing. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.