remodelling rental bathroom need a recommendation for exhaust fan

remodelling rental bathroom need a recommendation for exhaust fan

Guilderland, NY · Member since 2011 · 25 posts · 2 votes

We are gutting the bathroom down to the studs in my rental and wanted to know what you guys use for exhaust fans. When we did the bathrooms in my house, I bought Panasonic whisper quiet ones based on the good reviews they have on Amazon, but one of these only lasted 6 months. While they are whisper quiet they do not exhaust the steam really well. I am looking for one with a light. Any input will be appreciated.

0Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
13y

The best fans are Panasonic. I've replaced all the fans in my personal residence with them, and also put them in my rentals. Never had any problems with them.

They are super quiet and very efficient, even in the dampest of environments.

Also, I hate those loud fans. But if you do plan on putting one in that's loud, I suggest incorporating it with the light so that there's only one switch to turn both the light AND fan on at the same time. Otherwise, if you give the tenant the option to turn on a loud fan, they simply won't do for the same reason I wouldn't (it's loud and annoying) and you're going to end up with problems from the moisture build-up.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Lender · Pt Hueneme, CA · Member since 2012 · 110 posts · 47 votes
    13y

    I can not remember the brand I bought last time, but I am of the opinion that you should not use the whisper quiet fans, in fact I always find the loudest most annoying one I can get!

    I don't want anyone in the next room hearing what I am doing in there, and I sure do not want to hear what they are doing......................

    But that is just my opinion.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    I would just max the CFM regardless of noise. You want the moisture out. We use those with a humidity detector as most people turn it off after the shower & the steam just lingers.

    Check to make sure it vents outside & not into the attic as most
    do to expedite the job....mold is a nightmare.

  • SFR Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 184 posts · 55 votes
    13y

    Panasonic is still way ahead of the competition. One failure shouldn't cause you to stop using them.
    They are available at WalMart.com now, so you could return them easier.
    Loud fans may hide noises, but it also means it is inefficient.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    The best fans are Panasonic. I've replaced all the fans in my personal residence with them, and also put them in my rentals. Never had any problems with them.

    They are super quiet and very efficient, even in the dampest of environments.

    Also, I hate those loud fans. But if you do plan on putting one in that's loud, I suggest incorporating it with the light so that there's only one switch to turn both the light AND fan on at the same time. Otherwise, if you give the tenant the option to turn on a loud fan, they simply won't do for the same reason I wouldn't (it's loud and annoying) and you're going to end up with problems from the moisture build-up.

  • Guilderland, NY · Member since 2011 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Thanks again for your responses looks like i will order a Panasonic again. I like the idea of having them on one switch with the light.

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    13y

    Yes have the electrician connect it to one switch that turns on the lighting and the fan to the bathrooom. This way you know it does its job and mold/moisture will be at minimum. Also make sure you get the right size fan for the room. Good luck.

    I've been using the typical broan ones without issues. I get the regular fan type. No lighting or Quiet ones. Just try to keep it simple and functional.

    And yes make sure they exhaust outside. I have yet to find one connected correctly ;)

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    13y

    For something like that...the one with the smallest number after the dollar sign.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by George Paiva:

    And yes make sure they exhaust outside. I have yet to find one connected correctly ;)

    I'm currently rehabbing a ranch home built in '78.
    The above the stove micro wave was vented to an old duct in the wall that must have been a heat vent to the bathroom at one time. We then found the bathroom exhaust fan also connected to the same duct work.
    The enterprising sole at least had another heat source into the bathroom when the exhaust fan was not blowing.
    When we opened it up there was a disgusting sludge adhering to the ducting. I assume mold has a hard time growing on grease residue!!!

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2012 · 155 posts · 41 votes
    13y

    Next time check out an inline bath fan. I have personally used a couple Soler and Palau TD-100X inline fans rated at 100/135 cfm (2 speeds). Basically you mount the fan in the attic and run your insulated flexible ductwork to it and another section of the insulated ductwork up and out through the roof. This makes it so that the actual fan is 5-10 ft away from the bathroom. You are actually supposed to make it so its not a straight shot with the flexible ductwork because it helps with the noise. I just installed one in my newest property (I'm currently living there while fixing it up) and I wired it so that whenever the light is on the fan is running. Unless you know that it is on you would never even notice it.

  • Flipper Mostly · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2012 · 107 posts · 26 votes
    13y

    I agree with George and that's also what I have been starting to do in my rentals. If you hard wire the light / fan together on one switch, it ensures that it's used.

    One of my rentals which had a good working fan but the tenants never used had major mold in the bathroom after they moved out. Not a fun cleanup..

  • Contractor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2012 · 351 posts · 196 votes
    13y

    If you wire light and fan to operate on one switch and you are renovating bath, i would suggest you keep two seperate circuits, wire them together at the switch, and just have a dead switch. That way if you sell its as simple as rewiring switch back to isolated control. If tenant asks about dead switch, simply tell them its a cicuit no longer in use.

  • Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I don't mess with bathroom fans simply because if you have vinyl soffits you had better vent that through the ROOF, and I don't like ANYTHING drilled through my roof unless it's absolutely necessary.  If you blow HOT MOIST air into your roof and it doesn't go out it will become a haven for MOLD which will ultimately damage your wood.   I do use a bathroom window for my fan - which you can get anywhere for less than $10 and NO instillation required.  They are about 12" length and width and flat. Just set it up on the window sill with windows opened and turn it on--they sell battery operated ones for convenience and the charge lasts pretty long since its used strictly for ridding moist air when bathing. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.