Thinking of Replacing floor/carpet in a tenant's room

Thinking of Replacing floor/carpet in a tenant's room

Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 9 votes

New tenant moved into one of my rooms 2 months ago. Unfortunately, it seems like their room has been smelling like wet dog since the first day they moved in. They didn't report it initially because they thought it was a normal smell to happen, right after a steamcleaning takes place. 2 months later, the place still smells like wet dog. 


I think that the previous tenant's dog peed in that room. I am debating whether to get the room steam cleaned again (cost $110), which i did 6 weeks ago, or if I should just re-carpet or re-floor the room (which I think would be $300-$500 for the room). I am thinking to go with the latter option, but with vinyl, because it seems like that will permanently solve the wet dog smell, and also prevent cases where animals or babies pee on the floor.

Any feedback on my thoughts?

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Theresa HarrisPro Member
Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
6y

@Kamran Rahman  If the price difference is a few hundred dollars and the carpet is older, just get it replaced.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Kamran Rahman  If the price difference is a few hundred dollars and the carpet is older, just get it replaced.

  • Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 9 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    @Kamran Rahman  If the price difference is a few hundred dollars and the carpet is older, just get it replaced.

     Thank you. This is helpful. That was my thought process, and was trying to make sure I am being Poundwise and not Pennyfoolish. 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    If I was replacing flooring I would probably do the whole level. My places wouldn't look good or feel high class with mismatched flooring. Also your urine issue is in the subfloor now. Make sure you solve the odor problem before you put new flooring down or you will continue to have the smell.

  • Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 9 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Max T.:

    If I was replacing flooring I would probably do the whole level. My places wouldn't look good or feel high class with mismatched flooring. Also your urine issue is in the subfloor now. Make sure you solve the odor problem before you put new flooring down or you will continue to have the smell.

     Regarding the comment about the subfloor, it is a ground unit, so the carpet is sitting on top of a carpet pad, which is sitting directly on top of concrete foundation. I assume in this case, the most I could remove is the carpet and the carpet pad, but not the concrete foundation? I’m trying to understand what the subfloor would be in this situation. 

  • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    The smell can permeate concrete, as well. Luckily, using Kilz on it to seal it can fix it (same with wood); you might also treat with a urine remover product (spray on, let soak in and dry).

    Downside - an extra day for painting and letting it dry, before putting in new carpet.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.