Best Flooring for Rental Property?!

Best Flooring for Rental Property?!

Real Estate Agent · NY/NJ · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hi All - I am in contract on a BRRRR and was wondering what flooring has been the most reliable and durable for all. I know for sure I want to do vinyl, but not sure what brand to trust. I am aiming to be under $3.50/ft, but want something durable and well made.

Thanks for the help all!

0Reply
227 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
6y

Many of us are going to say the same thing - LVP - luxury Vinyl Plank

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Ryan Gutleber I have used quite a bit of the grip strip stuff from HD. I pay $1.79 per square foot and the install typically runs me $1.50- $2 per square foot. It has held up well so far in my rentals here in the Chicago market. When my good tenants move out it looks like no one ever lived there. 

  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    6y

    Many of us are going to say the same thing - LVP - luxury Vinyl Plank

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I'm with @Mark H. Porter - LVT is what we mostly use or porcelain.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    I use Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring on my rentals. I was told by a flooring professional that the glue-down kind is best for rentals because it can take more abuse from tenants.

    • Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Michael Pike:

      I use Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring on my rentals. I was told by a flooring professional that the glue-down kind is best for rentals because it can take more abuse from tenants.

      Yes, depending on the substrate and a couple other conditions. The pros to gluedown is the ability to simply replace one or 2 planks (so buy extra for long term ownership) the cons, noise. The planks typically have ‘underlayment’ attached to the plank however it offers little in the way of noise dampening. Seems small until you have tenants complaining and altercations taking place because of it. Consider, the ceilings. Are they drop ceilings? Insulated? In what era were they built. To keep it simple though, as a contractor I would choose glue down 75% of the time. About 1/2 the time in labor. ‘Floating floors’ have their place. Until you have correctly and successfully snapped a couple planks together underneath a door jamb and tried replacing just a single plank or two on a floating system (correctly) you wouldnt understand. Lol 
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Matthews, NC · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 239 votes
    6y

    I have a very nice LVP in our primary home...We have a 130 pound german shepherd and a smaller 45 pound dog....not a scratch to be found.  I have also used it in some flips and always received great compliments.  I have always used floating, rigid back, with a high wear layer..12mm at the low end, 20 preferably.

  • Contractor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2019 · 138 posts · 132 votes
    6y

    I would recommend LVP as well, I would not recommend as a contractor using glue down. Stay with a floating floor. In the event, you need to replace a piece or two. Costs in labor and materials will be much lower vs dealing with glue down. 

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 319 posts · 330 votes
    6y

    I haven't used it in a rental, but one floor I really like is the floating stuff from Fusion. 

    2/3 of my basement has their 12x24 "slate" tiles - they look nice, and whatever that surface is made out of is diamond hard. You need a new saw blade every 30 cuts or so - it'll start cutting really slow, and then you notice a smooth spot where the teeth are completely gone. 

    I can't think of too many things a tenant could do that would hurt that stuff.. It's probably similar to the old asbestos tiles in terms of durability. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Dry areas - LVP if the subfloor is smooth.  7MM (or >) wood laminate if not smooth.  

    Wet areas - Peel and stick groutable vinyl tile.  So easy, its almost fun. Almost. 

    Carpet - Worst choice ever. 

  • Polson, MT · Member since 2017 · 115 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    I’m a flooring installer and I’d go with a decent quality floating lvp throughout. It’s a hot product and make for a more desirable house in your budget range.

  • Rental Property Investor · OK · Member since 2019 · 126 posts · 114 votes
    6y

    I like the glue down LVP vs the floating LVP because you can easily replace just a single piece.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Ryan Gutleber

    I have sold flooring products for 27 years. LVT just plain works.

    But have you considered sealed or stained concrete if the slab is concrete. That’s the trend of the future as it never needs replacing. Just buffing and resealing on occasion.

    I have used in a rental in CA for 4 years and 3 sets of tenants and I love it. The tenants always comment on how much they like it as a conversation piece for guests.

  • Real Estate Agent · NY/NJ · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    You guys are all awesome - thank you for all of the feedback. I am 100% going to go with the LVT, and as of now, I may pay up slightly for the $3/ft LIFEPROOF from HD. In my area, and the size of the project, it will likely be worth the extra investment for us to garner the best tenant pool. Cheers all!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Ryan Gutleber - We've tried it all.  Here's what we like

    Porcelain tile in all kitchens/bathes

    LVP in all spaces but ONLY if we're buying the $3+ sqft product.  The better quality stuff kinda gives off an engineered hardwood feel.

    LVT in all spaces but ONLY if the floor is super level and super clean.  We go really cheap with this stuff.  It's great because if it gets damaged then we just peel up that piece and glue down a new one

    We are also experiment with using heavy duty linoleum that looks like LVP.   The reason being is it's significantly cheaper to purchase, it's super fast to lay down, AND the newer patterns looking exactly like a tile floor or a LVP/LVT floor.  Most people having no idea what they're walking on.  It's completely waterproof, and is really resilient if you buy the thicker product.

  • Rental Property Investor · OK · Member since 2019 · 126 posts · 114 votes
    6y

    Mike,

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with that plank you have disconnect all the way to the nearest wall, whereas glue down you can just take up the one plank (use heat gun to loosen adhesive) and replace it.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    LVP such as HD's Lifeproof is indeed great for average or higher grade properties. Be aware however, that the surface CAN be damaged...and the underlying material (usually black) will show through if this happens, so you must exercise SOME care. Dog toenails, kids, etc. are not an issue, but moving appliances carelessly, or other heavy items can easily damage it.

    For the lower grade of properties, or older, "original" condition properties, the better choice is Armstrong's VCT tile. This is great in kitchens and baths, as well as the entire unit. They show very well when properly waxed and buffed out. In particular, if you have a lot of units, you can stock multiple combinations of colors to install "checkerboard" floors for great visual impact in a large kitchen or sunroom. They are also easy to replace if needed, however they are also easy to use a sanding disk to feather out gouges or other damage and re-polish due to the fact they are one solid material for the entire thickness...not a "print" glued onto a substrate. You still need to ensure a solid, level, install surface, but they are easy to work with. A heat gun, a utility knife, and a trowel to spread adhesive is all it takes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.