Owner Occupied Rent by the Room Property Management

Owner Occupied Rent by the Room Property Management

Investor · Greater Chicago Area and Northwest Indiana · Member since 2018 · 138 posts · 42 votes

I plan on living in a home and doing a rent by the room. Should I do the landlording myself or just hire a property manager?

I have a W2 job (40-80 hours a week) and a Real Estate business (getting close to quitting my W2 job to focus 100% on my business).

I don't believe managing the property is much work but finding the right tenants to live with could take a ton of work. I don't plan on living in the property for a long time though (1-2 years).

Thoughts? Thanks!

1Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 42 votes
6y

Daniel 

It will come down to cash flow. How much would it cost to manage the property in regards to dollar amount for paying a property manager and also your time and trying to finding a proper tenants have to work in 40-80 hours per week.

 I had a friend that purchased a triplex and he lived in one of the units. He hired a professional property manager anyway.  I believe it improves the comfortability of the tenants who lives there.

But it has to make Common Sense, Dollars Sense and Business Sense.  

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    Daniel 

    It will come down to cash flow. How much would it cost to manage the property in regards to dollar amount for paying a property manager and also your time and trying to finding a proper tenants have to work in 40-80 hours per week.

     I had a friend that purchased a triplex and he lived in one of the units. He hired a professional property manager anyway.  I believe it improves the comfortability of the tenants who lives there.

    But it has to make Common Sense, Dollars Sense and Business Sense.  

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 64 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Guerra, how did this end up working out for you?  i want to rent by the room here in colorado springs, and I plan on self managing, but i hear rbtr property managers are few and far between

  • Real Estate Consultant · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 354 posts · 386 votes
    5y

    @Jeremy Babin - We have some clients that do the rent by the room (or coliving model) in Colorado Springs and Denver. Both self-manage and live at the property. I know someone else that does it on several different properties in Denver and Buena Vista, and she lives in one of the properties, but the others are self-run. I believe she has tried to identify tenants that could be house managers and reduce the rent for them. 
    This model requires a higher management presence than a long term renter, but certainly is also more lucrative. 

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    @Jeremy Babin I decided to sell the property. I lost my W2 job due to Covid. I became a licensed Realtor in Illinois and Indiana. I still think renting by the room is awesome. I will try it out when I move down to Arizona in 2021.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.