How to calculate accurate room rents in a house hack

How to calculate accurate room rents in a house hack

New to Real Estate · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 4 votes

Hi there! I'm excited to be starting out with an opportunity to learn through house hacking my brother's 3bd/2ba house that is currently sitting empty. Would you calculate the room rents by comparing his place to other 3bd/2ba houses nearby and dividing that total per room or with nearby 1bd/1ba apartments?

According to Rentometer, 3/2 homes nearby average $1850 (so about $600/room); 1bd/1ba apartments average $1070.

I plan to rent out two rooms with a shared full bath and share the master bed/bath with another family member. I've looked at his utility/mortgage bills and estimate that getting $1800/mo would cover all my brother's current expenses, plus setting aside 10% of his expenses for vacancy, 5% of his expenses for capital expenses, and 10% of his expenses for repairs & maintenance. This leaves him approximately $200 extra each month he can pocket.

Now, I'm not sure that is how to calculate vacancy rates, cap expenses, or repairs/maintenatnce, so please let me know if my understanding of the concept is off.

I tried fiddling with the Buy and Hold calculator with these numbers and recognize his situation is not a smoking deal. He's already purchased the house and refinanced once. My aim is to make the rent cover all his expenses, put money aside for any issues that come up, and ideally pocket a couple hundred each month.

Any advice is much appreciated--thanks all!

0Reply
32 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Amy,

    What a great sister to help with your brothers property!

    Where are you going to market the property? Craigslist? Facebook? I would get on there an see how much people are asking for a room with a shared bathroom. You definitely don't want to use the 1bed apartments as comps. 

    I'm not sure what market you're in but if you wanted to rent a room with a shared bathroom in your neighborhood how much do you think is reasonable? You can list it and always drop the price as the market will tell you what it's worth. 

    I wouldn't get too caught up with vacancy as your market and price will determine some of that. You can always do the maintenance and some of the repairs since you'll be there, which will save you money. 

    Some of these rules of thumb (10% vacancy, 5% Capex, etc.) are just rules and aren't specific for your situation.

    The beautiful thing about real estate is you can do things to increase the cash flow and value of your (or your brothers) property. 

    Best of luck!

  • New to Real Estate · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the help Cameron!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.