Rental Applicants: All kinds of crazy!

Rental Applicants: All kinds of crazy!

Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I recently received a call from someone about a house I have for rent. The call was from another state. In the past, I didn't receive many out of state calls because people were leaving Michigan by the truckload and few were entering. Now our economy is getting better, so people seem to be moving back.

This particular guy saw pictures on the internet and said he loved the house. He asked a lot of good questions and seemed to have it all together. He wanted the house, but wouldn't be in town for another week when his company transferred him and asked me if I could hold the house for him. I replied that I can't hold it without a deposit. He said that he knew the area since he used to live here and would take the house and wanted to send me a deposit. I told him to hold his horses. I emailed him an application and told him to mail it back with the fee. He was afraid the house would be gone, so he emailed me the application and check stubs and sent the fee by Western Union. I was impressed with how fast I had everything.

When I received the application, everything looked good. Solid job with good pay. Next, I ran his credit and eviction check. Uh oh. Eleven court cases filed by a previous landlord. (Yes, 11!!!) Before I knew it, he was calling me. He really wanted this houses. I asked him about the adress that came up on the eviction report, but wasn't on the application. Total silence. Next he went on with a bunch of excuses about what had happened. Said he was late a "few times" and they were fast to file papers, but he "always paid them". I told him there was no way I could rent to him based on this past history.

This is when he jumped on the train to crazytown. He started screamimg about how I had "taken his money" (the application fee) and was going to "steal his identity". (As if anyone would want the identity of a deadbeat). I told him that I run a legitimate business and he has nothing to worry about. He then started crying and sobbing about how no one will give him a chance, the economy was bad, his relative was murdered, he lost his job, he had to sell his car, he goes to church now, he has changed, blah blah blah. I just listened to him vent. I didn't want him to vandalize my house when he got to town.

After a few minutes, he calmed down. I again explained to him that I have certain criteria and he didn't meet it. It finally sunk in and he seemed normal. I'm glad I order those eviction reports. I don't want someone in my house and then have them go cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

Anyone else have any crazy applicants?

3Reply
95 views

Most Popular Reply

Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
13y

I've had a lot of mothers call me looking for an apartment for their sons. When I politely tell them I want to talk to the young man himself and that he must have reliable income, they get upset. One hung up the phone on me. I think they're trying to get a lazy kid out of the house and make him my problem.

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y

    11 previous landlord lawsuits and a whacko-rant? Oh, sign me up.

    I'm curious... how was his credit? Do any actually have good credit, but have evictions?

    That's pretty bizarre. A grown man crying to a potential landlord... gotta love that. I wish I could say I've never had a crazy, but I have. Except my crazy tenant/roommate I actually lived with. They went off on rants and sucked, even though they had no previous landlord suits.

    You've heard "b1tches be crazy." Well, tenants be crazy, too.

    I don't see why a tenant would think going off on a potential landlord would be a good idea. My usual bad impression tenants are ones who can't form a complete sentence with decent punctuation.

    I have yet to pay for eviction reports, but I do pull court records in every city they've lived in. Hopefully that's enough for me.

    I kind of feel sorry for people who have had rough patches in life, but that's a risky outlook to take with tenants. And tenants that scream, cry, etc... Sheesh.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    His credit was in low 600's. Better than you would expect.

    I agree. I don't know how you could go completely nuts on someone and then expect them to rent to you. I almost wish I could turn everyone down and see how they handled it. Then if they were cool about it, I could say, "I'm just joking. You're approved."

  • AR · Member since 2012 · 31 posts · 2 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:

    Next, I ran his credit and eviction check. Uh oh.
    How do you check credit and eviction report?

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Good screening = lots of pain avoided

  • Real Estate Investor · Hampton, VA · Member since 2012 · 562 posts · 109 votes
    13y

    Wow..that is really all kinds of crazy

  • Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 69 votes
    13y

    Just wait until you eventually get to multifamily. You'll find a new appreciation for the term all kinds of crazy.

    There are plenty of crazy folks out there. You just never meet them until they become your tenants! :)

  • Investor · Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 12 votes
    13y

    Bobby Gerry, That's no lie. They seem ok until they stop paying. Gotta do your work up front.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    i have gotten a few emails from overseas telling me that "they will be in the country in a week or two". as soon as they bring up "western union", i know it's a scam.

    we rented to one couple that moved from Mexico to Michigan due to their job relocation. did not believe in checks, so always paid cash..

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    I recall the one looker who reeked of alcohol on his breath - don't light a match near him I thought; when his application came back there were 9 landlord tenant cases, and a foreclosure, and a bankruptcy ...

    Then there was the one who I handed in writing the criteria where my criminal requirements state no unadjudicated cases - and I specifically asked them to read and confirm that wouldn't be a problem. He said it wouldn't be a problem. Report comes back with an arrest just a few months back that had a court date scheduled in two months.

    Then there was the one that was rejected in writing, calling me to see if I would take him for another vacancy ...

    And there was one who refused to even fill out an application - although they wanted the place - saying that I was one of those landlords who collects application fees but denies everybody to make money. If only they knew that vacant units don't make money, and that I'd have to take LOTS of applications at $25 a pop to get that $1200 per month.

    Yeah, lots of people with a few loose screws out there ...

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    13y

    My favorite app was a recently divorced cop with credit in the 500's. That's all I needed in my building where I also live, a broke depressed guy with a gun!

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbia, SC · Member since 2012 · 112 posts · 106 votes
    13y

    I had a "nice" lady call me and ask me what we looked for in the application...I told her...credit, income, rental history, background...and she got hysterical. She told me "you are the reason people go homeless"

    I started to explain to her how business and really life in general worked, but then I realized it would do no good, and just said "ok" and she hung up. She's still out there somewhere, blaming other people for her mistakes so beware.

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:
    He then started crying and sobbing about how no one will give him a chance, the economy was bad, his relative was murdered, he lost his job, he had to sell his car, he goes to church now, he has changed, blah blah blah

    Throw in a runaway dog and you have a great country song :-)

    Haven't had too many crazy applicants, but I do have an old lady next to one of my rentals that is bat sh@t crazy. I was talking to the phone company repair men when they were out there one day "checking the lines" because she would not stop calling them and telling them someone was listening to her phone calls. Said this was the third time in the last year they'd been out there. Each time they just climb the pole for about 10 minutes and then leave.

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    13y

    I've been having a lot of people call or look at my vacancies for someone else or significant other. I know the quality of tenant base has been going down in last couple of years but this last vacancy really has been bringing out some brazen potential tenants.

    Usually prescreening takes care of 90% of them then the application takes care of the rest. I require anyone over 18 to fill out an app. Usually it brings up the conversation of oh I have my girlfriend/boyfriend staying a few nights a week. Or the ones that indicate they have adult son/daugther staying a few nights a week. Usually not a problem if they sign a separate application and be listed on the lease.

    Problem is I find out their credit or criminal checks indicates why the person was not brought up in the first place. Dollars to Donuts they are basically fronting the apartment so the deadbeat tenant can move in.

    My guard has gone up as I have caught a few of these in the latest vacancy...

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    13y

    I've had a lot of mothers call me looking for an apartment for their sons. When I politely tell them I want to talk to the young man himself and that he must have reliable income, they get upset. One hung up the phone on me. I think they're trying to get a lazy kid out of the house and make him my problem.

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Amy Arata:
    I've had a lot of mothers call me looking for an apartment for their sons. When I politely tell them I want to talk to the young man himself and that he must have reliable income, they get upset. One hung up the phone on me. I think they're trying to get a lazy kid out of the house and make him my problem.

    LOL, we just evicted one of those. Except he had no where else to go except back to his mommy. Hell the kid was 27 years old already!!!

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    13y

    I found the people who want to move in TODAY normally have something odd going on. One time I got an applicant who saw the place online and applied, wanting to move in right away. She failed her employment verification and when I asked her about it, she admitted she was from another country, pregnant and wanted her baby to be born in the USA to have citzenship.

    Some people's credit history is so bad I wonder why they even bother applying. Perhaps they are hoping that someone down the road just isn't going to check.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2010 · 292 posts · 103 votes
    13y

    Amie, you speak the truth about people wanting to move in TODAY. That is a red flag for sure. I once rented to family in a hurry to move, who also volunteered to do any necessary cleaning. I had to evict them a few months later. I found out they were in a hurry to move because they were being evicted. Another time I rented to a guy who needed a now, and already had his stuff in a U-haul truck. I had no other prospect and dreaded continuing to search for a tenant, to I took him. He voluntarily moved out about four months later at my urging, and I lost a few hundred dollars from that loser. Be very suspicious of people want to move in right away.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 93 posts · 12 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Ed Barker:
    . Be very suspicious of people want to move in right away.

    and those who call you 3 times a day if you already processed an ap
    and those who absolutely love the unit and have ideas how they will arrange stuff
    and those who have "a story" beind why they looking
    and ....

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    13y

    Best ever..."I can get you the application fee in 2 wks". I'm thinking you shouldn't be looking if you don't have $35 for the app fee..

    New approach..drive by property to confirm interest, prescreen, app fee to receive application....weeds out most..

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Amie D.:
    ...

    Some people's credit history is so bad I wonder why they even bother applying. Perhaps they are hoping that someone down the road just isn't going to check.

    Amie D. - keep in mind that most of them are ALREADY renting from somebody else! Even the ones with criminal records are somebody's tenant.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    13y

    I've only went through the leasing process once since I bought my first-and-so-far-only rental and I had about 3 ridiculous applicants. Not as crazy as that guy, but not far from it. That's the crux of the low income stuff, though.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    13y

    Well I've already started another thread about the person who sent me a threatening text message today...

    I told another person she was denied and she called me back and demanded to have the piece of paper upon which I had written her social & DL#. From my screening I already knew about her arrest for battery so I decided to be cautious and humor her. I went to the rental at the appointed time to give her the piece of paper back and she stood me up.

  • Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes
    13y

    Rob just be thankful you ran that credit report! ;) Imagine him as a tenant sheesh! [ reminds me of some of my own llol]

  • Member since 2012 · 55 posts · 12 votes
    13y

    At a group showing an applicant loudly announced and I mean he was loud...."I have to take a $hit, where is the bathroom?"

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:
    ...
    I told another person she was denied and she called me back and demanded to have the piece of paper upon which I had written her social & DL#. ...

    I believe you have to keep records of authorizations to pull the credit reports for like 5 years, in case the applicant challenges the existence of that inquiry. That arises from the statute of limitations of the FCRA: From Wikipedia:

    Originally posted by Wikipedia on FCRA:
    ...the statute of limitations is the earlier of two years from discovery of the violation or five years from the date of the violation. (15 U.S.C. § 1681p)
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.