COVID-19 moratorium. What happens if tenant doesnt contact me?

COVID-19 moratorium. What happens if tenant doesnt contact me?

Pomona, CA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I've been reading the COVID-19 eviction moratorium for the city where my rental is. Bullet #1 states that the tenant needs to inform me by April 30th (assuming they don't plan to pay rent this month). What happens if they don't inform me? Does that mean the moratorium doesn't apply to them?

BTW, these tenants have been great so I don't plan to evict them. However, I'd like to understand what the consequence is for them. They usually pay the rent 2 days before its due, but they haven't done so for April yet...

https://www.ci.pomona.ca.us/

NOTE: THIS MORATORIUM ONLY APPLIES TO EVICTIONS FOR NON-PAYMENT OF RENT DUE TO FINANCIAL IMPACT/HARDSHIP RELATED TO COVID-19 DURING THE LOCAL EMERGENCY
What Affected Residential Tenants Must Do
1. Notify landlords in writing within 30 days of the rental due date of inability to pay rent.

a. Notification can be by email or text if you have communicated previously with landlord
through text or email.

0Reply
12 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Phil Fu  That statement is poorly worded unless they really mean anything (ie before or after the 1st) within 30 days-For April 1 that gives them March 2- April 30.

    I would try to contact them and see if they've been affected by the virus and tell them to let you know.  I have one tenant who I haven't heard from (they are in month 2 of their lease) and I sent them an email yesterday evening asking about rent.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.