Is it a challenge to rent a home during this pandemic?

Is it a challenge to rent a home during this pandemic?

Rental Property Investor · Easton, PA · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 9 votes

I have a home in Easton PA that I am close to finishing up the rehab, so I am almost ready to rent it out. I would like to know if anyone is having a hard time, due to the crisis, in renting out their homes?

Also, due to these currently events, have you had to lower your original price in rent to be able to get someones attention and rent it out?

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Rockford · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 46 votes
6y

Listed one yesterday rented today for 75 bucks more a month than I thought I would get. ( Shot high to see) put another listing up today stating it would be ready to show in 2 weeks. Had 4 inquiries. Nothing has changed for us but will say was nervous signing mortgage docs last Wednesday

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Rockford · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 46 votes
    6y

    Listed one yesterday rented today for 75 bucks more a month than I thought I would get. ( Shot high to see) put another listing up today stating it would be ready to show in 2 weeks. Had 4 inquiries. Nothing has changed for us but will say was nervous signing mortgage docs last Wednesday

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 269 votes
    6y

    @Jeffrey De Los Santos I actually got about $175 higher than I thought the area could support by renting to a Brevard County Section 8 tenant. Apparently the housing authority thinks market rent for the zip code is higher than I do! They have tons of applicants looking bc there is a shortage of property owners that will consider it. But I’m going to take a guaranteed 100% paid rental going into this turbulent time 100% of the time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Easton, PA · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @David Tyrawa What market do you have this rental in?

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeffrey De Los Santos

    In my market there is no change in the rental market.  Just received an offer on a flip.  The sale side is definitely slower then it should be, but people are still looking.

  • Investor · Rockford · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 46 votes
    6y

    Rockford Illinois. Majority of my properties are 3 bed or 2 bed 1 bath 1k sq ft. Going for 850 to 1100 per month

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    6y

    My market doesn't seem to be slowing down on the rental side. We are in a military town, so we are somewhat insulated from everything that is going on.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I'm going to find out soon as we're doing a turnover and hope to be done in a little over a week from now. I don't anticipate any issues as it's a desirable area with low inventory.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yonkers, NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Jeffrey De Los Santos

    I’m finding it more difficult to find tenants. I have two properties listed and last few weeks have been so difficult finding applicants. I lowered the price on one of them to get some traction.

  • Rental Property Investor · Easton, PA · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Rafael Martinez any traction on the one you lowered?

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I don't know about renters, but I put a property on the market on Thursday and had 4 showings since then. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Yonkers, NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Jeffrey De Los Santos I got a little more traction but nobody fully to commit, people are hesitant to go inside a house during this times. I’m pretty sure their are some people right now looking but normally April is supposed to be peak time

  • Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    I felt the same too. However, people need places to live too so I wasn't too worried. Luckily, I was able to find a tenant this month.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yonkers, NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Jeffrey De Los Santos

    Any luck renting your place? I was able to rent all units out as soon as the weather got better. Best of lucks

  • Rental Property Investor · Easton, PA · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Rafael Martinez yeah I was able yo rent the place out within 1 week. I had no hard time renting it. I even rented it at the price I was looking for and had enough applicants. I guess because I listed it in as many places I could.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yonkers, NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Jeffrey De Los Santos

    That was my mistake to begin with, I should of listed in more places. The marketplace works wonders.

  • Rental Property Investor · Easton, PA · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Rafael Martinez yeah it does. Thats where I got most of my applicants.

  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2019 · 237 posts · 169 votes
    6y

    @Jeffrey De Los Santos Glad to hear you got the place rented! For those of you still wondering people are still renting.  Typically in tougher economic times you actually see a larger surge in rentals rather than people looking to buy a home. It's often viewed as less risky. You're seeing some rent prices go up and others go down but that all depends on your local market. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    I raised the rent from $1600 to $1900 for a vacancy here in Vegas (my first in several years.).  It took 2 weeks to get a well qualified tennant. That’s about twice as long as usual, but I really wanted the higher rent. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.