Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
Prominent Penn State business professor Adam Grant wrote a book named “Give and Take”. He breaks down the world of professionals into three categories: givers, takers, and matchers. These categories are self explanatory: givers give, and look out for other’s interest; takers take, and achieve success at the expense of others; matchers match, they give to givers and take from takers (aka “the karma police”)
I've seen success been achieved by all three types of people, but I've only lived a short life so far, and my experience in the REI world is even shorter.
Can you share some of your insight on any of these there questions
1. Who is more successful in your experience? Givers, takers, or matchers?
2. How do you distinguish them?
3. What's the proportion of these three you have encounter in the REI world?
Realtor · Bend, OR · Member since 2018 · 323 posts · 224 votes
6y
I think this is a great way to look at things....I am not sure there is a cut and dry answer to your questions though...
1. I have seen givers be beyond successful - I have one client that is the pure definition of a giver. He buys properties that need a lot of work - leaves the tenant in place, works with them, keeps their rent low and during all of this pandemic he even closed on a deal and wrote the tenant a letter stating "don't worry about rent this month, times are tough" he owns over 100 properties here locally and is very successful. I also have a client that is a taker - but very successful.
2. To distinguish them I think you have to look at a lot of different things. One, how do they make offers on properties...I have one client that offers very low EVERY SINGLE time and is angry when he gets a counter to me that says taker. I have one that will come in reasonable and is willing to negotiate until all parties are satisfied - giver. I have another that will offer a better price, but when it comes to negotiation of the price or repairs plays hard ball if the seller isn't willing to work with them - I put him in the matcher.
3. I think I have encountered more takers personally - the least number are matchers in my experience.