question about month to month renter during the virus pandemic

question about month to month renter during the virus pandemic

Investor · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 9 votes

I have a renter in California.  In the past, they have been late and on occasion are still late with rent payments.  I became tired of dealing with them and hired a property manager, more of a bulldog.  Since then, I have placed them month to month after their year contract ended.  They are still late on occasion but are charged appropriately.

Currently, probably like many of you are, I am worried if they decide not to pay their rents, the tenant reached out to me personally and asked what I am doing.  I explained that I wasn't familiar with the current laws and they would need to talk to the current property manager.  I gave instructions to accept partial payment or work out a payment plan.  California also has a no eviction for the time being.


To make it short, after the no eviction is lifted, and this tenant hasn't paid, since we are on a month to month, can I tell them i'm not going to renew and have them leave, unless they making a good effort in catching up rent.

I don't mind them staying but I fear they may take advantage during this time.  I have another renter who told another property manager of mine that their mechanic shop has been closed for several weeks due to the pandemic.  Where I live, those shops remain open.

Thanks

0Reply
10 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Nothing in your original post is asking a question, but I imagine the answer is going to be to let your PM handle it. As long as you trust him to stay up to date on current laws, there is not much you can do.
  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    LOL, what I was asking, he there is no effort in paying the rent, since they are on a month to month, can I tell them to leave and not renew the month?

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Mel Rosario have the PM check whether you need to give 30 or 60 days notice of non-renewal. (Some parts of LA have even stricter rulers). If they do not leave then you will have to evict. You can do the notice of non-renewal anytime you just can't back it up with an uncooperative tenant. California can be tough be sure your PM knows what they are doing. All the best!

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Mel Rosario

    Why are you even thinking or dealing with this? You hired a PM. Have them do their job.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    You can ask them to leave, just give the appropriate notice, this varies by state. But if they don't leave, unfortunately the only legal recourse landlords had was eviction. Many tenants will take advantage of this, if they reached out to you already and asked it sounds like that's their plan. 

    If they truly have a hardship it's best to work with them, but if they're taking advantage of the situation, you could tell them although you can't evict them now, you will when the moratorium is lifted and you will seek a judgement against them for the full amount owed to you. Make sure they know you're not going to let it go. Some will care, some won't, but landlords don't have many options right now. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.