Rental Property Investor · Conyers, GA · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 14 votes
Got a tenant that wants to update the kitchen (works for a company that does kitchen remodels).
Claims he has surplus countertops and other materials to improve it. Says he doesn’t want anything for it, like lower rent etc. he just wants a better kitchen than what is currently there. That it will stay on the property, if and when they move out. No cost to me.
What do you all think? Let him do it? Or tell him no?
Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 13 votes
6y
Sounds too good to be true,
I would let him do it under the conditions that these updates are approved by you and maybe some kind of written agreement that the updates actually cost you nothing. No pink cabinets and no coming back later saying you owe him.
Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
Alf,
I had a client who let a tenant do some maintenance work to offset rent. The tenant claimed to have been injured during the work. The Tenant got an attorney who filed a Workers Comp. claim. Fortunately they miss filed it. Then they filed a liability claim. The owner had no Workers Comp. so he had to hire a lawyer to defend it. The Liability claim was defended by his Insurance. Turned out to be a bogus claim but it still cost the owner $$ for the Workers comp attorney.
Your situation is a little different but I would still ask both your Attorney and Insurance agent about it.
Got a tenant that wants to update the kitchen (works for a company that does kitchen remodels).
Claims he has surplus countertops and other materials to improve it. Says he doesn’t want anything for it, like lower rent etc. he just wants a better kitchen than what is currently there. That it will stay on the property, if and when they move out. No cost to me.
What do you all think? Let him do it? Or tell him no?
I would tell him HECK NO. If he wants to provide proof of insurance, a W-9, an official quote, and do it the right way sure... If its a back end deal, now way
Not seen much good come out of this type of situation. I have seen this give tenants a green light to the whole I can now do whatever I want to the place.