Investor · CT · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 8 votes
Have a new tenant who just asked to install a Ring doorbell and cameras outside of her front and back doors. This is in a multi-family (3) home and she is on the first floor. I'm not comfortable with this given the 2nd and 3rd floor tenants also have access to these common areas. Some background on layout - her front door leads into the 'foyer' of the front common entrance. the front camera would observe them going in and out and also downstairs to the laundry area. Her backdoor faces out to the first floor landing of the 3-story deck which tenants use 90% of the time to go up to their apartments (shared off-street parking in back). I feel this kinda violates their privacy and I want everyone to feel comfortable. But I also want the first floor tenant to feel safe. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice?
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y
@Carlin A Guarneri Yeah I share your sentiment I don't want my tenants watched, and besides she knew what was there prior to move in. I would offer her a peep hole in the doors, and make sure she has a dead bolt lock front and back. All the best!
Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2019 · 158 posts · 117 votes
6y
I don't see a privacy issue. You can see people coming and going by looking out the window, or sitting in your car, right?
If the tenant wants to pay for the camera and service, then hook her up, on the condition that you are given username and password to the account, and the cam stays if and when she leaves.
The issues I see:
Thieves steal the camera! Comes off fast and easy. All you need is a hoodie and a screwdriver. Constant motion alerts give no real value - easily and often ignored. The cam also gives scary neighborhood alerts; Man checking cars | Car surveilling neighborhood slowly | Lost dog wandering | Heard a loud noise | etc.
Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 731 votes
6y
@Carlin A Guarneri, I would allow the tenant to buy and install their own. This isn't a privacy issue if they are aware of the camera.
I am sure your other tenants will eventually ignore the camera and not even notice. These are common enough now. A lot of apartments are starting to offer these as well.
Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
The easiest answer is no.
If you want to go a step further, tell them you need all other tenants to sign something agreeing to the install, and let her know that if there is turnover she may be forced to remove it if next tenants don't agree. I, personally, would say no to avoid the drama.
Investor · CT · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 8 votes
6y
Hi all, thank you so much for taking the time to give your feedback on this. Wanted to give you an update –
So at the end of the day we decided to not approve the camera request (discreetly fielded it with my best ever tenant of many years who lives in the same property and that tenant was not comfortable with the idea which was the deciding factor)...
That being said, we approved the Ring doorbell request - with the caveat that we have access as a shared user - and asked her if there were any particular security concerns the tenant had that we can address for her.
The response we received was very short and did not mention any specific security concerns at all (not a peep about why the request for cameras came in), and only said that they weren't going to get the Ring because it felt like an invasion of her privacy for us to have access so she just wasnt going to get it.
This was kind of ironic to me since my initial concern w the cameras was invasion of privacy for the other tenants via her requests. lol. That seemed odd, as well as zero response as to why there was a need for front/back door cameras. Needless to say I will be keeping an eye on this tenant even though they passed screening very well with great credit and landlord & employer references.
Anyway, wanted to follow up on this to close the circle on how this proceeded for anyone interested!