Adding a range hood and refrigerator to legal attic apartment

Adding a range hood and refrigerator to legal attic apartment

Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 0 votes

Hello, we have an attic apartment with the current set up. Inspector say we need to add a range hood over the stove. Any suggestions how? Note: sink is the to the left of the stoves current location.  The stove is electric. Here are some options we have considered:

1. Cut a dormer above the kitchen area ($$$ expensive)

2. Move the stove to where the window is and move window higher (expensive as well)

3. A retractable side vent beside the stove (not very effective) 


4. we also need space for a refrigerator. 

0Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

First of all, it's lovely...what a great job you've done with it.  I'm an advocate of the hood over the range for a lot of reasons and I recommend installing fire suppression canisters as well (cost $60 to $100):  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyC48QdLSCo

I would probably make the investment in cutting the dormer; the fire protection alone would be worth it to me. There are also double drawer cabinet height refrigerators used often in the restaurant/catering industry that might be worth looking into as well.

Again, what a great use of space and design.  Please let us know what you decide to do...

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Leslie Ann Carabuena

    There is no code requirement that mandates a hood over a stove.  It’s a good idea, but not required unless there is a local amendment.  You might be able to install a charcoal filter hood.  No exhaust to the outside.  It will look like hell.  It might fit above the stove or slightly on the angle wall above the stove..  Maybe install an exhaust fan to the outside.  I think you have options.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    First of all, it's lovely...what a great job you've done with it.  I'm an advocate of the hood over the range for a lot of reasons and I recommend installing fire suppression canisters as well (cost $60 to $100):  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyC48QdLSCo

    I would probably make the investment in cutting the dormer; the fire protection alone would be worth it to me. There are also double drawer cabinet height refrigerators used often in the restaurant/catering industry that might be worth looking into as well.

    Again, what a great use of space and design.  Please let us know what you decide to do...

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Just looked at the county codes and looks like its not required (whew). 

    I also found that a 7.5 cu ft refrigerator should fit in the corner.

    I was advised not cutting into the roof (I was thinking of adding a skylight right above the stove) because of possible leaks. Tenant can also leave it open on accident while its raining as well. 

    I don't think I want to cut a dormer if its not against code so I think I'll just leave it and make tenants get renters insurance.

    Thank you! 

  • Conway, AR · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    You could put in a down-draft with a charcoal filter to help keep down cooking odors.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Nice job on the attic, we had to add a fire sprinkler system to rent ours so a range hood would have been a cheap fix!!! I also like the fire suppression canister idea.

    We had a tenant with an above the stove micro-wave NOT vented to the outside. She made stove top popcorn constantly to the point where the ceiling & cabinets above the micro-wave exhaust became covered in a yellow greasy stain. I now vent them all to the outside. I also noticed that the pop corn popping pot she used was then washed in the dishwasher, so that became caked in a heavy oil residue. Have to wonder what oil medium she popped it in ??? 

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    As much as possible we would like to install a ceiling hood roof. Our major dilemma is the angle of the roof and lack of ceiling space for something that protrudes inward to the stove.. We would need something relatively flat like this:

    which would most likely have to exhaust out the roof. From something like this:

    Has anyone ever had any experience with anything like this? How difficult do you think this is to achieve? What are your thoughts/suggestions?

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    How did the inspector suggest you do it? If they're the one mandating it, they should have a feasible suggestion for implementation.

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    The inspector only said that we needed one... This is my first working with him. He came highly recommended from an investor friend but he was wrong about other stuff on the report (electrical wiring). 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.