Tenant Keeps Painting Interior Unit - Warned to Get Permission

Tenant Keeps Painting Interior Unit - Warned to Get Permission

04064 · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes

My tenant emailed me that she is in-process with painting the kitchen of her unit. I emailed her a month ago to not paint any other rooms beyond the bathroom without advance discussion. At move-in 1.5 years ago, this tenant requested to paint the unit and indicated having professional experience with her mother. She is in early 20's so her hands-on experience would probably be rather limited.

In March 2020, the tenant emailed that she had started painting the bathroom and emailed a link to the color she had chosen. I responded that I was happy to pay her supplies costs and negotiate labor costs. However, I warned that since I live out of state and could not view results in near-term, she would assume some liability if I did not find the quality or color schemes to be viable after her lease term ends.       

This morning, she emailed again that she was in-process with painting the kitchen and emailed 2 links to proposed colors for her next paint project, the bedrooms. This is a young woman of apparent modest economic means (she disclosed reduced hours under CV-19 lockdown & I have already reduced her last rent by 75%). Realistically, the odds of recovering any fees for correcting a poor paint job with a professional would be slim. She is already in-process, so shutting her down now may increase bad-will and lack of care for unit over her remaining 9 mos. lease term.

    · How likely is it that interior painting by amateurs turns out well enough to appeal to future tenants?

    · How do I determine how much to pay her, especially sight-unseen until I arrive on-site 2 months away.

    · Should I stop the painting now with threat of a lease terms breach or be grateful for lower cost paint job?

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

You've unleashed a beast...please put the leash back on!  Here's my recommendation:

1.  Advise the tenant that you will not be subsidizing any painting of the unit and you will not be authorizing any additional painting.  

2.  Advise that she is not authorized to paint your property and that she is risking her security deposit by doing so.  She is also in violation of her lease that clearly states that she has to have your permission BEFORE starting any project and you have no interest in cosmetically altering the property at this time.

Between HGTV, Instagram, and every online home website, you can't unleash the "inner decorating warrior" in a tenant ever - for it will surely result in several coats of paint (and a hefty dose of resentment) to undo all things warrior.  

May the force be with you...

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    You've unleashed a beast...please put the leash back on!  Here's my recommendation:

    1.  Advise the tenant that you will not be subsidizing any painting of the unit and you will not be authorizing any additional painting.  

    2.  Advise that she is not authorized to paint your property and that she is risking her security deposit by doing so.  She is also in violation of her lease that clearly states that she has to have your permission BEFORE starting any project and you have no interest in cosmetically altering the property at this time.

    Between HGTV, Instagram, and every online home website, you can't unleash the "inner decorating warrior" in a tenant ever - for it will surely result in several coats of paint (and a hefty dose of resentment) to undo all things warrior.  

    May the force be with you...

  • 04064 · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    I will unleash your words of wisdom to try and put a leash back on the weekend warrior home renovations! :) I will also search for my original email to the tenant to remind her of my warning to not paint additional rooms beyond the bathroom.

    It is possible that she is interested in earning fees for the painting as I believe that she has been affected by Covid-19 regulations with her work hours. However, she has already asked for a late payment provision before the pandemic and accepted a rent reduction after the pandemic. Therefore, if I seek to recover any possible damages, it is unlikely that it would be feasible. She is probably too young to think in these terms ... sigh.
  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    6y

    I don't ever do painting this way. We do allow tenants to paint with the uunderstanding that it must be returned to my neutral paint scheme when they move out, all at the tenants

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    I never let them paint . If a tenant realy wants a room a different color , I have my painter do it .BUT I charge the tenant upfront twice , once to paint the color they want and I get the money to paint it back to the original color .   

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    I also don’t allow tenants to do any painting. The ones that have without my permission have never done a good job. Additionally, no matter what they tell you, they won’t paint it back to it’s original color when they move out.

    In my opinion, it’s especially crazy to agree to pay for the tenant’s supplies and labor for them to do it. If you’re going to pay for all that, you might as well pay a pro.

    As for this current paint job, I certainly wouldn’t pay her for that. She did it without your permission (and I’m guessing in violation of your lease). You’d only be rewarding her, and encouraging similar future behavior, if you pay her. 

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    They'll f*** it up. You'll be lucky if they don't slop it all over the trim and splatter all over the flooring.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jill F.:

    They'll f*** it up. You'll be lucky if they don't slop it all over the trim and splatter all over the flooring.

    Invariably. They also never clean the walls beforehand or add mildewcide to bathroom paint. Finally, they fervently believe in the two biggest lies of home improvement: one-coat coverage and paint+primer in one.

    When it starts cracking and peeling off in big patches three years from now, it's on you. When your next paint job costs you twice as much and takes twice as long and looks half as good, it's on you. And when you walk in one day and find a black bathroom ceiling with deep purple walls, maybe a unicorn mural in the kid's room...uh-huh ALL ON YOU.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    I had one tenant with vision problems and she wanted to change the colour of an accent wall.  She paid for a professional painter to do the wall and we pre-approved the colour.  

    With someone like your tenant, she is going to do what she wants regardless. Tell her no and put it in writing.  Then when she does it anyways, you can take it out of her deposit.

  • Property Manager · Raleigh/Durham NC · Member since 2015 · 210 posts · 293 votes
    6y

    The only thing I can think to add that hasn't already been said is that it is common for tenants (non-qualified painters) to get brush strokes accidentally on other walls and/or the ceiling. This usually requires that wall to be repainted and adds cost.

    I also do not want my tenants to use 'touch up' paint at move out either. It's common to end up with a checkerboard wall even when you use the exact same paint (1+ years later).

    They tend to be very unhappy when they find out they have to pay to repaint a wall they think they have already touched up.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.