Votes
EJ K.
  • Quad cities iowa
Votes |
Tenant removing upgrades They did

EJ K.
  • Quad cities iowa
Posted May 30 2020, 07:21

Hi, have my own rental properties but my mother in law is the tennant in this case. She decided to shut up shop on her preschool and move into her home to downsize. She rented for many years and was responsible for turning the place into a daycare. Being polish she had all her contractors do work and have the place running. Owner didn’t pay for any of it but allowed it. She stayed 13 years. She even converted uninhabitable rooms into rooms and even added children’s toilets and a whole new bathroom at that. Changed the kitchen to commercial grade. Installed cubbies. 

At the time of leaving, the owners daughter, as the owner died, marketed it as a preschool. On the way out we removed most of the commercial stuff, including sink, all the wall cubbies, painted over the murals that were in there and are planning on removing the children’s toilets too. Essentially making it uninhabitable. 

Can the owner do anything about this as the place is still significantly upgraded from when they had it? 

Also if her business is closing and turning into a home day care and it was always in an llc where she was an employee and paid by the business could she even be liable if that was a possibility.

When we left the floors were damaged too. Whoops... there was children carpet to play on and a leak in the window there. So months of the carpet getting a little moist with sunlight on it drying it up it was stuck to ground. Hence when pulling carpet up, tile came up to.

Throughout the time there she saved numerous receipts and had to fix problems on her own as well.
i think overall she was taken advantage of being a foreigner in this country but she made a great living for 13 years and funded 3 big ten universities with it. 

Any thoughts appreciated 

Loading replies...