Tenants that come with a duplex- No Lease in place

Tenants that come with a duplex- No Lease in place

Real Estate Investor · WI · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 2 votes

Closing on a duplex in two weeks and one of the units is still occupied. I have been told there is not a lease in place. Any advice on how to handle? Should I let him stay with new lease? Screen him as if he was a new tenant? Ect

Thanks!!

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
6y

@Korey Enstad when people say there is no lease, that is not really an accurate statement. There is always a lease, so they likely mean one of two things:

1. There is no lease term in effect. The tenants original term may have expired and the lease went month to month. Or the original lease was month to month. The point is that there is a written lease, just not a term. The terms of the lease would transfer to you as the new owner. I say terms meaning a lease contains many things beyond just a time period.

2. There is no written lease, meaning the tenant never signed anything. Since the tenant is living there and paying rent, it is a verbal lease. Lack of written lease is very dangerous because it comes down to a verbal agreement between two people.

In either case, I would have the new tenant sign a new lease. Have them sign a month to month lease, so you have recourse to non-renew if they cause trouble. I wouldn't make them go through screening. I am not sure that is even legal in many places, because they already live there.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · NC · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    When I've encountered this I've kept them, you already have the risk of them there so might as well let them continue on month-to-month status.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    "I have been told there is not a lease in place."

    In OR, we call that a month-to-month lease once you accept a rent check on the first.

    Talk to the tenant since I don't like booting tenants without good cause.  Ask what they want and see if you can get them into a lease.

    Main reason is lenders don't like MTM leases almost as bad as empties and debt service cover is a major decision metric for them.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    I agree with talking to the tenant.  How long have they been there, any plans to move?  Hopefully you found out if they'd been paying on time and confirmed rent and got the deposit from the seller.

    I'd have them sign a new lease, so that you both know what the expectations are.  If they want to do month to month or a 1 year lease, get them to sign it either way.

  • Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 446 posts · 566 votes
    6y

    No written lease whatsoever is no good. If possible, have the seller get them on a month-to-month written lease before you close. Even better if it's your own lease language rather than his.

    Of course before any of that, get written records of his rent ledger and tenancy history.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y

    @Korey Enstad when people say there is no lease, that is not really an accurate statement. There is always a lease, so they likely mean one of two things:

    1. There is no lease term in effect. The tenants original term may have expired and the lease went month to month. Or the original lease was month to month. The point is that there is a written lease, just not a term. The terms of the lease would transfer to you as the new owner. I say terms meaning a lease contains many things beyond just a time period.

    2. There is no written lease, meaning the tenant never signed anything. Since the tenant is living there and paying rent, it is a verbal lease. Lack of written lease is very dangerous because it comes down to a verbal agreement between two people.

    In either case, I would have the new tenant sign a new lease. Have them sign a month to month lease, so you have recourse to non-renew if they cause trouble. I wouldn't make them go through screening. I am not sure that is even legal in many places, because they already live there.

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    6y

    It's been my practice to keep these tenants for 3 months and monitor them closely. If I don't like them I give them a 30 day notice to quit but if I do like them I will insist that they sign a new 12 month lease and possibly increase the

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Also get the security deposit.

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 269 votes
    6y

    @Korey Enstad

    Would def get a new long term lease signed. I believe you may need that to refi.

    Best of luck in all your endeavors.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.