What to do for tenant while kitchen is out of commission?

What to do for tenant while kitchen is out of commission?

Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes

We are scheduled to upgrade the kitchen in a property and we have a tenant living there. The kitchen could potentially be out of commission for about 10 days. What do you do for the tenant if you’re updating and they’re inconvenienced? Thanks!

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    My answer might depend on whether this was work that you just wanted to do but it could have waited until the next time the property was vacant, or it was more of an emergency nature and had to be done now, or if it was an upgrade that the tenant actually requested and you agreed to do only because they asked for it.

    But since we don't know much about the type of upgrade, the reason for it, exactly what in the kitchen won't be available to the tenant, or what state this is in (the laws of which could have some bearing on the answer), I'll just say I'd probably waive the rent for the period of time that the tenant is without the use of their kitchen.  That's likely all that you're required to do.  Of course, you could always do more if you wanted.  But that'd be strictly up to you.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Legally, you usually only have to offer them reimbursement of rent on a prorated basis.  I'd start there and see how they respond.  It's usually cheaper by far than paying for a motel room (which you normally aren't required to do).  

    I will add that once a tenant was displaced because of a pipe overflowing.  We offered to pay for her hotel room somewhere, even though legally we weren't required to do so, which was more than the prorated rent would have been.  She asked for the amount of money equal to the hotel room rate, and then went and stayed with a friend LOL.  She preferred to have the extra cash.

    But, you should definitely offer at least prorated rent as a rent credit, in my opinion.  What if it was you?  What do you think would be fair if it was you?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I agree that it would depend on the circumstance.  I personally wouldn't until vacant to avoid this issue if it could be helped and was purely cosmetic.  If you are doing it because they asked you to I probably wouldn't without an increase in rent and them aware that they will be on their own without the kitchen while repairing.  If it truly needed an upgrade to be a functional kitchen I would do the minimum while they were there and move the fridge to the garage so they could keep their food.  If they have a minimum of a fridge they should be able to make do but I would be replacing the oven asap to make cooking easier as well. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.