Fences and dogs and regulations, oh my!

Fences and dogs and regulations, oh my!

Investor Friendly Agent · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2019 · 53 posts · 37 votes

Hello BP fam!

I have a SF rental and my tenant has 3 German Shepherd dogs that are full grown and contained in their 4' fenced yard. The neighboring property got a pittbull puppy. I also own a pittbull, so I am familiar with the breed, but I live in the burbs. 

Milwaukee Neighborhood services says that the 4' fence is enough to contain the pittbull, however, it is a puppy and will grow to easily be able to jump this soon. It likes to run and play at the fence, antagonizing my tenant's dogs, who are displaying aggressive behavior at the puppy through this chain link fence. I spoke with the neighbor and they said they can't afford a higher fence. I do not want any person or animal to get hurt, I think I'd be liable as insurer on the property if an incident happened on my lot.

Do you know:

1) What if neighbor pitty jumps fence onto my property- am I liable if this animal gets onto my property and over the fence?

2) What if a GS dog jumps over the fence into the neighbor's yard... am I liable?

3) Should I bite the bullet and put up a 6' fence to avoid any issue (don't have funds for this expense)

4) Should I call my insurance guy or would that be the worst thing to do?

Thanks in advance for your comments. 

**Please no judging on my choice to allow 3 dogs, tenant was in place turnkey and pays on time, cares for the property well. 

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y

Liability is always a concern in the US - simply because anyone can get sued for anything. And liability questions are for attorneys, which I am not, but here are my two cents.

As a landlord you have to provide a safe property that meets regulations, in this case DNS. You can't control what the dogs will do. I don't think a 6' fence will help that much, at least the GS will jump with ease it if they want to.

We require tenants with large dogs to have renters insurance, which has a liability portion to it. This becomes your first line of defense. Next is your landlord property policy. On top of that you should have an umbrella policy - it's inexpensive and will increase your limits to a million at least.

Hopefully the dogs are just having fun ;-)

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 81 votes
    6y

    @Tiffany Drahonovsky

    Call your insurance agent. They're going to know how your policy actually works, including what is & is not covered.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    Liability is always a concern in the US - simply because anyone can get sued for anything. And liability questions are for attorneys, which I am not, but here are my two cents.

    As a landlord you have to provide a safe property that meets regulations, in this case DNS. You can't control what the dogs will do. I don't think a 6' fence will help that much, at least the GS will jump with ease it if they want to.

    We require tenants with large dogs to have renters insurance, which has a liability portion to it. This becomes your first line of defense. Next is your landlord property policy. On top of that you should have an umbrella policy - it's inexpensive and will increase your limits to a million at least.

    Hopefully the dogs are just having fun ;-)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 153 posts · 84 votes
    6y

    @Tiffany Drahonovsky also not an attorney but I would agree with Marcus. You’re property is code compliant and meet DNS regulations so I think it would be a long attorney battle between the tenants before you could get pulled in somehow.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.