What potential breakables do you remove from a property prior to renting it?

What potential breakables do you remove from a property prior to renting it?

Peachtree City, GA · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 1 vote

This question and thread was born out of some very good advice concerning "eliminations" Scott W. and David Krulac gave in another thread.

What things do you "eliminate" or remove from a home before renting it in an effort to lower the number of breakables in and on a house?

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y

Things I remove:

Garbage disposal, ceiling fans, kitchen faucet sprayer, all electric in a detached garage, most of the electric in an unfinished basement, humidifiers, locks on interiors doors (teach the kids how to knock), door bells, shower doors, showerhead on a hose, flouresent shop lights

Things I add:

Door stoppers, motion lights (in a rough area), deadbolts to exterior doors

Things I replace:

Gate valves replaced with ball valves
Old houses that have a "barrel trap" on the tub get replaced with a P trap
Any plumbing repairs are redone in PEX, even if the rest of the plumbing is copper or galvanized

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 547 posts · 214 votes
    13y

    Not sure what kind of things can really be eliminated.. Only thing I remove is ice maker is the fridge has one!

  • Real Estate Investor · Brownsburg, IN · Member since 2012 · 31 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    garbage disposal

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Things I remove:

    Garbage disposal, ceiling fans, kitchen faucet sprayer, all electric in a detached garage, most of the electric in an unfinished basement, humidifiers, locks on interiors doors (teach the kids how to knock), door bells, shower doors, showerhead on a hose, flouresent shop lights

    Things I add:

    Door stoppers, motion lights (in a rough area), deadbolts to exterior doors

    Things I replace:

    Gate valves replaced with ball valves
    Old houses that have a "barrel trap" on the tub get replaced with a P trap
    Any plumbing repairs are redone in PEX, even if the rest of the plumbing is copper or galvanized

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    the first thing i install in a house is a garbage disposal. 4 yrs now and never had a problem.

    it takes 25 mins to replace if needed.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by George P.:
    the first thing i install in a house is a garbage disposal. 4 yrs now and never had a problem.

    it takes 25 mins to replace if needed.

    Garbage disposals are fine......until you get a call that it's not working and it turns out to be full of chicken bones.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    I have never installed a garbage disposal. Why would that be the first thing you would install?

    The 3 main things I install:
    - Smoke detectors (many properties I buy are missing them)
    - A fire extinguisher (not really install, just provide)
    - Deadbolt locks

    I've never taken ceiling fans out if they were already there, but I've never installed a new one in a rental.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    because they wont call me for a "clogged drain".

    and no, no chicken bones in the disposal yet. i give my tenants a little more credit.

  • Peachtree City, GA · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    This is all great advice. Thank you to everyone who has posted thus far.

    Moving forward, if you want to post things you add to a house, that would be great to hear too.

    I know it wasn't the original focus of this thread, but instead of starting a new one and since some posters have already started posting them here, I'd like to keep it going as it is very helpful advice.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I add garbage disposals. lol

    there was a great thread called "how to harden your rentals".... very good ideas/suggestions.

  • Peachtree City, GA · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 1 vote
    13y
    Originally posted by George P.:
    I add garbage disposals. lol

    there was a great thread called "how to harden your rentals".... very good ideas/suggestions.

    Just found it - thanks for the heads up. You're right, there is some great information in there. Here is the link for others.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:
    Things I remove:

    Garbage disposal, ceiling fans, kitchen faucet sprayer, all electric in a detached garage, most of the electric in an unfinished basement, humidifiers, locks on interiors doors (teach the kids how to knock), door bells, shower doors, showerhead on a hose, flouresent shop lights

    Things I add:

    Door stoppers, motion lights (in a rough area), deadbolts to exterior doors

    Things I replace:

    Gate valves replaced with ball valves
    Old houses that have a "barrel trap" on the tub get replaced with a P trap
    Any plumbing repairs are redone in PEX, even if the rest of the plumbing is copper or galvanized

    Nice list.

    Do ceiling fans break that often? My last place appeared to have a ceiling fan from the 1960s. I hadn't through about ceiling fans being a pain in the butt.

    Showerhead and sink sprayers are a huge remove item. My friend let someone stay at her house one night and ended up with the person spraying the entire bathroom down on accident with the shower/tub sprayer. It was a mess.

    Garbage disposal... definitely. I've only lived in once rental that had one.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Jon K.:

    Do ceiling fans break that often?

    Yes. Especially when kids are jumping on the bed and they hit their head on the fan and it starts spinning out of whack. It will only get worse and then the tenant wants a new fan. I don't put ceiling fans in any of my houses. I've had tenants request them and I let them know that they're welcome to pay for and install a fan. Some do and some don't.

    A few months ago, HD had a four pack of light fixtures on sale for around $25. I bought all of them. It will never need to be replaced and is very inexpensive.

    On a side note, I have five very nice ceiling fans in my house. I didn't buy any of them. They came out of houses that I purchased. I can stretch a dollar until George screams.

  • Investor · West Bloomfield, MI · Member since 2009 · 358 posts · 306 votes
    13y

    Light bulbs, mirrors, windows and tile.

    Just kidding (but sometimes I wonder...)

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:
    Originally posted by Jon K.:

    Do ceiling fans break that often?

    Yes. Especially when kids are jumping on the bed and they hit their head on the fan and it starts spinning out of whack. It will only get worse and then the tenant wants a new fan. I don't put ceiling fans in any of my houses. I've had tenants request them and I let them know that they're welcome to pay for and install a fan. Some do and some don't.

    A few months ago, HD had a four pack of light fixtures on sale for around $25. I bought all of them. It will never need to be replaced and is very inexpensive.

    On a side note, I have five very nice ceiling fans in my house. I didn't buy any of them. They came out of houses that I purchased. I can stretch a dollar until George screams.

    Ah, I forgot about kids. Eww.

    Haha, George is one guy I can't make scream. Impressive.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.