Renters insurance: tenant personal property and liability

Renters insurance: tenant personal property and liability

MA · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi All,

I am using the Bigger Pockets lease for MA residents. There is a clause about renter's insurance (#19.B). My question is, do other MA landlords require tenants to get liability coverage in addition to coverage for personal property. If so, how much coverage do others require? As owners, we carry a $1,000,000 umbrella. 

Thank you!

0Reply
24 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Bruce Dykstra

    I always require a minimum of 30K personal property and 100K liability.  I had a fire in one of my buildings, 150K plus of damage.  If I had required renters insurance there policy would have covered some of the damage as it was caused by there negligence.

  • MA · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Great- Thanks for the advice. I feel like it's a good idea to add the liability, but didn't know how much to require.

    Thank you!

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Bruce

    The standard Renters policy includes both personal Property, Additional living expense, and Liability.  I would suggest $300,000 or $500,000 limits for the liability requirements based on our area.  The Tri-state area and New England are more litigious.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 930 posts · 836 votes
    6y

    @Bruce Dykstra

    We required 100k liability minimum in NM, and min 300k if they had pets.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.