Evictions... How are rental property owners holding up?

Evictions... How are rental property owners holding up?

Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2019 · 92 posts · 96 votes

Now that many of those eviction moratoria are expiring... I'm curious to know how rental property owners are holding up? Are your tenants paying rent? If so, is it on time? Or are you having a high eviction rate? 

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

I would not count moratoriums being lifted, and even if they are it won't change things all that much. We are already seeing judges tell sheriffs to not enforce orders, we will see judges not granting orders, congress folk have told tenants to not pay rent, tenants are blocking access to process evictions; this is not going back to where it once was, not in most places. 

Laws don't seem to matter much anymore, and not just talking land lording, where this goes is anybody's guess. 

We will have to find better ways to keep the freeloader mentality folks from not getting in in the first place, and how to get rid of the ones who are already there-that is the much harder and more expensive part! I hope I am crazy!

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 435 posts · 421 votes
    6y

    Ours hasn't.  Fortunately, all of our tenants are current, although one took until close to the end of the month to pay her rent.  Until they lift the evictions moratoriums, we're at the mercy of the tenants.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    I would not count moratoriums being lifted, and even if they are it won't change things all that much. We are already seeing judges tell sheriffs to not enforce orders, we will see judges not granting orders, congress folk have told tenants to not pay rent, tenants are blocking access to process evictions; this is not going back to where it once was, not in most places. 

    Laws don't seem to matter much anymore, and not just talking land lording, where this goes is anybody's guess. 

    We will have to find better ways to keep the freeloader mentality folks from not getting in in the first place, and how to get rid of the ones who are already there-that is the much harder and more expensive part! I hope I am crazy!

  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I have  +/-75 units/175 tenants, most of which are student rentals. We've had 100% rent paid every month as have most of my friends and colleagues who own in my market.

    I can't speak for next year but student housing has done well. So far, that is.

    Not sure what it will be like next year. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.