What will your reaction if your tenant sent you this?

What will your reaction if your tenant sent you this?

Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 1 vote

"Hi,

Hope you are doing well! I recently learnt that the gap between tenants is usually over 30 days.

If I can have a new tenant ready (one approved by you) on the same day that I deliver my move out notice, would you be open to giving me half off on the last month's rent? Cutting the gap between tenants would earn you more than 30 days of extra rent.

This email is not a move-out notice - I'm not sure when I will move out yet.

Some reasons that I can find a new tenant for you early are:

  1. I can start looking several months before I move out.
  2. I will be incentivized to make the home look nice for tours.
  3. People love to talk to the previous tenant before making a decision.
  4. I may even be able to adjust my move out date to accommodate the next tenant.

Let me know what you think!"

0Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Shuo Jiao:

"Hi,

Hope you are doing well! I recently learnt that the gap between tenants is usually over 30 days.

If I can have a new tenant ready (one approved by you) on the same day that I deliver my move out notice, would you be open to giving me half off on the last month's rent? Cutting the gap between tenants would earn you more than 30 days of extra rent.

This email is not a move-out notice - I'm not sure when I will move out yet.

Some reasons that I can find a new tenant for you early are:

  1. I can start looking several months before I move out.
  2. I will be incentivized to make the home look nice for tours.
  3. People love to talk to the previous tenant before making a decision.
  4. I may even be able to adjust my move out date to accommodate the next tenant.

Let me know what you think!"

"Thanks for the offer however turnover time for this unit is typically more like a week or two which gives me enough time to paint and deep clean/make repairs as well as show the unit to prospective tenants empty. I do have a very specific screening process and tenant placement policies that I prefer to stick to and implement on my own. Thanks again, very kind of you to offer and I like the creative strategy! 

Best Regards, 

Shuo"

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Attleboro, MA · Member since 2015 · 412 posts · 165 votes
    6y

    I would say thanks but no thanks.

    First off they are not sure when they may move out (are they there month to month or on a lease) It almost sounds like they want to break a lease but have their replacement ready.

    I would not necessarily let a potential new tenant talk to one that is moving out.

    Depending on the condition of the unit and your plans, you may want 30 days between tenants to renovate and/or update. Also it may depend on how quickly you have been able to find a new tenant in the past for the unit. It may be in a popular area and therefore may be a lot of interest as soon as you advertise.

    Just my two cents

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I would tell him that my lease permits me to start showing the unit as soon as he gives me notice so that I can reduce my vacancy rate. I generally turn over a renovated unit in less than a week (not 30 days). But I always appreciate referrals and will give tenants that refer another tenant that leases one of our properties a $50 rent credit.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    Probably would not interest me I do not show occupied units-especially at this time. I have pics and videos. I do not show units until they are rent ready. I prefer to do any required work on units at turnover and raise rent for the new tenant. This has been working well and see no reason to change.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Shuo Jiao:

    "Hi,

    Hope you are doing well! I recently learnt that the gap between tenants is usually over 30 days.

    If I can have a new tenant ready (one approved by you) on the same day that I deliver my move out notice, would you be open to giving me half off on the last month's rent? Cutting the gap between tenants would earn you more than 30 days of extra rent.

    This email is not a move-out notice - I'm not sure when I will move out yet.

    Some reasons that I can find a new tenant for you early are:

    1. I can start looking several months before I move out.
    2. I will be incentivized to make the home look nice for tours.
    3. People love to talk to the previous tenant before making a decision.
    4. I may even be able to adjust my move out date to accommodate the next tenant.

    Let me know what you think!"

    "Thanks for the offer however turnover time for this unit is typically more like a week or two which gives me enough time to paint and deep clean/make repairs as well as show the unit to prospective tenants empty. I do have a very specific screening process and tenant placement policies that I prefer to stick to and implement on my own. Thanks again, very kind of you to offer and I like the creative strategy! 

    Best Regards, 

    Shuo"

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I will always accept referrals and of course they would go thru my screening process...  if tenant gave me a referral that resulted in an approval that would move in one week after move out, i would possibly give them a credit of some sort.  More so if they left the unit in perfect condition 

  • Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    6y
    Thanks for the reply @Jill F.! I think I understand your point. But is there any downside of letting him try? If he can really get the next tenant for me then I don't need to renovate (probably just need some deep cleaning), that would save me a lot of work.

    Originally posted by @Jill F.:

    I would tell him that my lease permits me to start showing the unit as soon as he gives me notice so that I can reduce my vacancy rate. I generally turn over a renovated unit in less than a week (not 30 days). But I always appreciate referrals and will give tenants that refer another tenant that leases one of our properties a $50 rent credit.

  • Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    6y
    @Bjorn Ahlblad Thanks for the reply! Is there any downside of letting him try? If he can really get the next tenant for me then I don't need to renovate (probably just need some deep cleaning), that would save me a lot of work.

    Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Probably would not interest me I do not show occupied units-especially at this time. I have pics and videos. I do not show units until they are rent ready. I prefer to do any required work on units at turnover and raise rent for the new tenant. This has been working well and see no reason to change.

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Call their bluff. I bet they already have somebody interested (maybe a friend?). And are just trying to get some extra cash.

    But if it were me, I would probably consider partial refund, maybe a couple hundred. Good tenants know good tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Steve K.:
    Originally posted by @Shuo Jiao:

    "Hi,

    Hope you are doing well! I recently learnt that the gap between tenants is usually over 30 days.

    If I can have a new tenant ready (one approved by you) on the same day that I deliver my move out notice, would you be open to giving me half off on the last month's rent? Cutting the gap between tenants would earn you more than 30 days of extra rent.

    This email is not a move-out notice - I'm not sure when I will move out yet.

    Some reasons that I can find a new tenant for you early are:

    1. I can start looking several months before I move out.
    2. I will be incentivized to make the home look nice for tours.
    3. People love to talk to the previous tenant before making a decision.
    4. I may even be able to adjust my move out date to accommodate the next tenant.

    Let me know what you think!"

    "Thanks for the offer however turnover time for this unit is typically more like a week or two which gives me enough time to paint and deep clean/make repairs as well as show the unit to prospective tenants empty. I do have a very specific screening process and tenant placement policies that I prefer to stick to and implement on my own. Thanks again, very kind of you to offer and I like the creative strategy! 

    Best Regards, 

    Shuo"

    Same thing I told a guy who put a holding deposit in for 2 months then backed out at the last minute and wanted his deposit back. He thought it was unreasonable that I wouldn't return it...despite signing such an agreement that I would keep the deposit if he backed out...and I'm not sure what this entitled moron thought the purpose of the holding deposit would be if I just simply return the money if he backed out...then this idiot wanted to find me a new tenant, and I told him I screen tenants myself, since I'm the owner, and he has no right to place tenants and I'm not required to accept his idiotic plan. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y

    I give your tenant credit for creativity and understanding that most landlords hate tenant placement. In my case, I have a new tenant placed and ready to move in, so I would not be worried about vacancy. I have also found whenever a tenant recommends someone in this type of situation, they are rarely qualified. I wouldn't do it, but I don't have trouble placing tenants, so there is not value to me.

  • Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    6y
    @Jack B. you think my tenant is ill intentioned? I feel I don't have anything to lose.
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Steve K.:
    Originally posted by @Shuo Jiao:

    "Hi,

    Hope you are doing well! I recently learnt that the gap between tenants is usually over 30 days.

    If I can have a new tenant ready (one approved by you) on the same day that I deliver my move out notice, would you be open to giving me half off on the last month's rent? Cutting the gap between tenants would earn you more than 30 days of extra rent.

    This email is not a move-out notice - I'm not sure when I will move out yet.

    Some reasons that I can find a new tenant for you early are:

    1. I can start looking several months before I move out.
    2. I will be incentivized to make the home look nice for tours.
    3. People love to talk to the previous tenant before making a decision.
    4. I may even be able to adjust my move out date to accommodate the next tenant.

    Let me know what you think!"

    "Thanks for the offer however turnover time for this unit is typically more like a week or two which gives me enough time to paint and deep clean/make repairs as well as show the unit to prospective tenants empty. I do have a very specific screening process and tenant placement policies that I prefer to stick to and implement on my own. Thanks again, very kind of you to offer and I like the creative strategy! 

    Best Regards, 

    Shuo"

    Same thing I told a guy who put a holding deposit in for 2 months then backed out at the last minute and wanted his deposit back. He thought it was unreasonable that I wouldn't return it...despite signing such an agreement that I would keep the deposit if he backed out...and I'm not sure what this entitled moron thought the purpose of the holding deposit would be if I just simply return the money if he backed out...then this idiot wanted to find me a new tenant, and I told him I screen tenants myself, since I'm the owner, and he has no right to place tenants and I'm not required to accept his idiotic plan. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Shuo Jiao I’d probably thank them for the thought and just say that the question is too hypothetical to give a concrete answer, but if they have someone that is interested in the apartment you would be glad to run them through your screening process and consider their tenancy if they-the current current tenants—decide to move out by a specific date and give formal notice.

    Odds are you never hear about it again.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Shuo Jiao very creative by the tenant, give them that! The consideration does undermine your screening process but I wouldn’t write off the suggestion just yet. Your current tenant doesn’t have an incentive to find a great and reliable tenant but just a “random” tenant unless there is some sort of referral/finders fee attached to it. If you match the creativity of the tenants suggestion with the referral fee structure, then I feel you both can benefit from this.

    For example, if you reasonably raised rents by let's say $75, offer the current tenant $100 or $125 referral bonus (contingent of approval) within a specific time frame of the move out date, then tenant is happy to get an extra chuck of change and you get an extra $75 added to your monthly cash flow.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Sounds like your tenant wants to practice real estate without having a license. I suspect in your area that it is illegal for you to compensate a person for finding you a tenant unless that person is a licensed real estate agent. 

    Now if they found me a tenant that they personally knew, not just a random person, without any agreement in place, I may send them a nice gift basket with a gift card. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.