Build multifamily? Or buy?

Build multifamily? Or buy?

Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 2 votes

I'm in a position where I have my rent paid until March in the San Jose area. I managed to save $120,000 for a down payment to get into a house hack multifamily property. I want to get at least 4 units, but I can maybe afford more.

I have some experience in real estate. I purchased a house in 2014 in Austin with my sister, and sold it in 2018 so I have home ownership experience. 

In early 2019, I was moonlighting 2 full time jobs, when I was able to negotiate remote work for both jobs, and I sold everything I had except two backpacks of clothes. I started looking at my options and I ended up traveling and working from January to September. It was an amazing experience and I can't wait to do it again. Maybe after I build and have tenants (hopefully)?

Now I'm in paid temporary housing until March and I want to get into a multifamily property in the Las Vegas area. I'm debt free, 818 credit score. I'm single with no kids so I have flexibility on the location, but I like Las Vegas, and ideally I'd want to buy in an opportunity zone.

I think the better option is going to be to build a new multifamily property. This is a general outline of my plan, let me know if it's crazy

  1. 1. Get down payment for land + construction to perm loan, I've seen construction loans LTV around 15%. Right now I can afford $800,000, but I don't necessarily want to spend all of of, unless it's to get more units. This is on top of a $10,000 emergency fund.
  2. 2. Find a R3 (multifamily) zoned land in the city with utilities at the curb, or at least very close and purchase it after verifying that it's buildable and purchase it. Ideally an opportunity zone. 
  3. 3. Take design rough draft of building plans to drafting engineer to make blueprints and lot placement.
  4. 4. Find builder to build property 
  5. 5. Move in and rent all the other units. Maybe keep one unit for airbnb/guests?
  6. 6. After a year or two & saving up another down payment, use the existing blue prints to find another plot and reuse the plans to make another building

I've obviously over-simplified some of the steps, and it's a work in progress, but that's kind of why I'm here. I'd like to know what holes my idea has. The biggest issue I'm coming across so far is that finding multifamily zoned land is difficult. I haven't prequalified at a lender yet, because I don't want to take the inquiry hit until I have the land figured out. In March/April I wanted to wait a little bit to see if housing prices would be depressed from COVID, but prices have continued to go up.

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards building is that most of the multifamily properties out there are 30+ years old and will cost about the same to build. I have the time to wait for construction and would prefer to have a newer building where I can charge higher rents. 

1Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Salem, OR · Member since 2019 · 86 posts · 60 votes
6y

One of your main issues is as you have mentioned. Finding good build-able lots in the right zones is tough work. I would suggest reading up local zoning law exceptions. Like in my county in Oregon, any residential corner lot can have multifamily.

Second thing is that loan programs differ between 1 unit and 2-4 unit and 5+ unit. Be sure to get that cleared up since at 5 units and up its considered commercial property and has vastly different loans. at 2-4 unit you can still get residential loans but down payment might increase.

Third thing is that clear up how much a new build would cost. Different contractors have vastly different estimates.

Other than that the plan sounds reasonable. New multifamily builds do seem to be a good option considering how much small multifamily properties cost.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Salem, OR · Member since 2019 · 86 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    One of your main issues is as you have mentioned. Finding good build-able lots in the right zones is tough work. I would suggest reading up local zoning law exceptions. Like in my county in Oregon, any residential corner lot can have multifamily.

    Second thing is that loan programs differ between 1 unit and 2-4 unit and 5+ unit. Be sure to get that cleared up since at 5 units and up its considered commercial property and has vastly different loans. at 2-4 unit you can still get residential loans but down payment might increase.

    Third thing is that clear up how much a new build would cost. Different contractors have vastly different estimates.

    Other than that the plan sounds reasonable. New multifamily builds do seem to be a good option considering how much small multifamily properties cost.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    I don't know much about Multifamily properties. My take is that for your experience level I would try to make simple choices with fewer variables. I'm not here to limit you but there is a reason why the Sharks (Shark Tank) do want someone going too far and too fast with their money.

    Congrats on getting yourself in a great position! 

  • Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    As an Electrical Contractor the first thing I would recommend you do is go to the city or county jurisdiction and find out how much the permits would cost.

    Developing land can be crazy expensive.

    Here in Oregon when building a single family home its typically around $4k just for a set of plans to be drawn by an architect.

    Up to $10k for building permits

    In my small town its $11k just for the water meter and sewer connection. (On a SFR)

    Excavation and site work is also not cheap. Underground utilities, grading, gravel etc. Digout for footings, foundations and drains.

    Each property is > $50k before walls start being built on a 1500 sq ft home.

    People here are literally buying properties with tear down houses where they can literally tear it all down EXCEPT one wall and call it a "remodel" to save all that development cost. (including myself)

    I'm new to investing but well versed in construction.


    In my opinion if you could find a foreclosure or off market deal to purchase that needs lots of work, you would almost definately always be $ ahead vs building new.

    Vegas is obviously a different market but definately research the total cost before beginning.

    Good luck in your venture!!!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 264 votes
    6y

    @Ramon Melero you are in an awesome position! Just my 2 cents, and take it with a grain of salt, but managing contractors is hard enough. Building (if you don't have the right people doing it) can really go over budget and become a bit of a nightmare. If you can pull it off, power to you. But there is something that needs to be said for just having rent checks come in from day 1.

  • Calvin OzanickBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Janesville, WI · Member since 2017 · 707 posts · 297 votes
    6y

    Good afternoon, I would highly suggest you look into a potential Out of State investment. Here in Wisconsin, 120k is the sale price of a duplex that rents for in the 1400-1600 range. You could dump that 120k into 2-3 duplexes and see 3-4.5k in rent income. The market is strong and very beneficial to landlords at this time here. I would love to talk more about the potentials of your cash in this market. I would love to give you some insight to what I am seeing in my market. Best of luck!

    Wisconsin Property Managers4.7413 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    6y

    I have been contemplating building multis as well, i figure self GC'ing i should be able to build for around $75K/unit without a basement, and Me being the HVAC, finish, cabinet, flooring ect guy. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    "I think the better option is going to be to build a new multifamily property."

    Great, so I'm assuming you understand:

    1) Local zoning code and what is allowed or not.  Then get ready to deal with permits and inspectors and all the fees.

    2) How to find the right piece of land in the right place

    3) How to get a team of sub-contractors and making sure that everyone is following OSHA/BOLI and they are all licensed and bonded.  They get hurt without that then you're responsible.

    You can build, but hire a builder and pay attention on your first project

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dan Chomycia:

    I don't know much about Multifamily properties. My take is that for your experience level I would try to make simple choices with fewer variables. I'm not here to limit you but there is a reason why the Sharks (Shark Tank) do want someone going too far and too fast with their money.

    Congrats on getting yourself in a great position! 

    I agree, I've thought that this is maybe too much to handle, but it's the best way into a nice building to live in, and get cash flow so it's very attractive. I'm big into the "assets, not liabilities" idea. 

    Another option I thought of was buying a duplex or triplex because they're easier to find, and use the balance of my savings to start private lending. 

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Oscar Cardenas:

    One of your main issues is as you have mentioned. Finding good build-able lots in the right zones is tough work. I would suggest reading up local zoning law exceptions. Like in my county in Oregon, any residential corner lot can have multifamily.

    Second thing is that loan programs differ between 1 unit and 2-4 unit and 5+ unit. Be sure to get that cleared up since at 5 units and up its considered commercial property and has vastly different loans. at 2-4 unit you can still get residential loans but down payment might increase.

    Third thing is that clear up how much a new build would cost. Different contractors have vastly different estimates.

    Other than that the plan sounds reasonable. New multifamily builds do seem to be a good option considering how much small multifamily properties cost.

    That's an awesome tip I had no idea about special use permits, I'll definitely take a look at that. I can see a difficult, but probably worthwhile business model in buying land to rezone.

    Should I stick to a 4 unit then? Having more unit would definitely mean more cashflow, but I've never done anything commercial before so it's risky. Maybe I can spend more on the 4 unit build to charge higher rents?

    I'm still drafting what I generally want the building to look like, but yea I need to start getting estimates asap.

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Travis Turner:

    As an Electrical Contractor the first thing I would recommend you do is go to the city or county jurisdiction and find out how much the permits would cost.

    Developing land can be crazy expensive.

    Here in Oregon when building a single family home its typically around $4k just for a set of plans to be drawn by an architect.

    Up to $10k for building permits

    In my small town its $11k just for the water meter and sewer connection. (On a SFR)

    Excavation and site work is also not cheap. Underground utilities, grading, gravel etc. Digout for footings, foundations and drains.

    Each property is > $50k before walls start being built on a 1500 sq ft home.

    People here are literally buying properties with tear down houses where they can literally tear it all down EXCEPT one wall and call it a "remodel" to save all that development cost. (including myself)

    I'm new to investing but well versed in construction.


    In my opinion if you could find a foreclosure or off market deal to purchase that needs lots of work, you would almost definately always be $ ahead vs building new.

    Vegas is obviously a different market but definately research the total cost before beginning.

    Good luck in your venture!!!


     I hadn't done much research on that aspect, kind of why I want a pre-developed land. Good idea with the teardown "remodel". I had thought of buying an old building to tear down, but it seems that the demolish/dump cost is pretty high, but to your point, is probably less expensive, and also get's me into more developed neighborhoods. 

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Landis:

    @Ramon Melero you are in an awesome position! Just my 2 cents, and take it with a grain of salt, but managing contractors is hard enough. Building (if you don't have the right people doing it) can really go over budget and become a bit of a nightmare. If you can pull it off, power to you. But there is something that needs to be said for just having rent checks come in from day 1.

     Thanks, I've done alot of saving these past few years so I'm definitely looking forward to having somewhere stable that's mine and generating cash flow.


    I'm definitely not planning on doing the building myself, I'd hire that out. I'm providing the initial design then hiring an engineer/architect, down payment, and property management. Of course I'm going to be wasting space in one of the units :)

    I agree that having rent checks coming in sooner is better. I'm still open to buying an ok multi-family and rehab, but I'm not finding any I'm interested in and I've been looking for months.  

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Calvin Ozanick:

    Good afternoon, I would highly suggest you look into a potential Out of State investment. Here in Wisconsin, 120k is the sale price of a duplex that rents for in the 1400-1600 range. You could dump that 120k into 2-3 duplexes and see 3-4.5k in rent income. The market is strong and very beneficial to landlords at this time here. I would love to talk more about the potentials of your cash in this market. I would love to give you some insight to what I am seeing in my market. Best of luck!

    I'm definitely open to other locations, but I'm fairly attached to Las Vegas. 

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Scott Schultz:

    I have been contemplating building multis as well, i figure self GC'ing i should be able to build for around $75K/unit without a basement, and Me being the HVAC, finish, cabinet, flooring ect guy. 

    I do not have the experience for that stuff. I would expect to save whatever markup the GCs are making, but open yourself up to mistakes/liabilities.  

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Steve Morris:

    "I think the better option is going to be to build a new multifamily property."

    Great, so I'm assuming you understand:

    1) Local zoning code and what is allowed or not.  Then get ready to deal with permits and inspectors and all the fees.

    2) How to find the right piece of land in the right place

    3) How to get a team of sub-contractors and making sure that everyone is following OSHA/BOLI and they are all licensed and bonded.  They get hurt without that then you're responsible.

    You can build, but hire a builder and pay attention on your first project

    I've studied the Las Vegas R-3 zoning code and I have an ok grip on it. I'm definitely getting expert advice before I buy any land and get burned.

    My biggest issue is #2. This is what I'm struggling with.

    I definitely want to find a builder to work with, but as you mentioned, pay attention during the build.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ramon Melero:
    Originally posted by @Scott Schultz:

    I have been contemplating building multis as well, i figure self GC'ing i should be able to build for around $75K/unit without a basement, and Me being the HVAC, finish, cabinet, flooring ect guy. 

    I do not have the experience for that stuff. I would expect to save whatever markup the GCs are making, but open yourself up to mistakes/liabilities.  

    if you do not have experience in construction, or managing construction I would agree, I am currently building a spec house and Licenced GC and HVAC, so I feel I am there. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 264 votes
    6y

    @Ramon Melero totally understand! Sometimes the professionals though can mess things up/delays/etc. so just plan for contingencies when you Budget. You may also be able to just take something that is average in a good location and do better end finishes and make it a place you are okay living in. Again, new construction is pretty great when it is done. The big things are "when" and "done" lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.