• Investor
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
The neighbor keeps calling the police on my tenant

Cheryl C.
  • Investor
  • Reston, VA
Posted Apr 8 2013, 08:28

I am losing an excellent tenant due to the adjacent owner continually calling the police complaining of noise violations. He has called 5 times so far this year. My tenant is a middle-aged Hispanic woman. He contacted me early this year and I went over to talk to him and then my tenant. I do not believe there is any noise (radio) violation. After another visit from the Sheriff on Saturday, she has had it. I don't blame her.

I called the Sheriff this am and was told that different deputies had responded on the various occasions. These complaints were all filed mid-afternoon and no citation was ever issued. I was told that it is SOP for the deputy to knock on the door of the "offending party", regardless if they hear any noise or not.

This behavior starting shortly after my tenant moved in in December. The place is beautifully decorated and spotless. When she moved in, she told me that she never wanted to move. I am really angry as I believe it's racial. My prior tenant was awful and he never complained.

What, if anything, would you do? I plan to talk further with the Sheriff's Office, but my tenant IS leaving.

Loading replies...