What lock system do you recommend for main entrance of a Duplex

What lock system do you recommend for main entrance of a Duplex

Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 14 votes

I have a rental two unit building which has a main entrance door that tenants tend NOT to shut because the door opens either by key or someone physically opening it from inside which is a hassle for the the upstairs tenant. I want to fix this and increase security. I want to have a doorbell that any apartment's code (3) is entered it rings that persons phone (3-5) and the recipient of the call can open the door using his/her phone. Video would be a plus. I also want to add a camera on the side of my property to record trespassers.

I'm looking at Ring doorbell now. But I don't know if Ring can be used to open door for 3-5 different people (phone numbers). Does anyone know?

What are you investors or property managers using that is working for you? 

0Reply
24 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 121 votes
    6y

    Hey Matt, 

    Ring is compatible with several smart lock brands (schlage, kwikset etc). Basically you get a call from the ring doorbell and it prompts you to open the app and unlock the door. There is one main owner on the ring account (you) and you can add users. Between the ring and the smartlock it would be a semi expensive system to implement but it seems like it would satisfy what you're looking for. Keep in mind i believe Ring charges some sort of subscription fee.  There are some good articles online if you search "ring and smart lock". ring also has some info on their website. It looks like a "ring base station" is required to make these work, not sure if there is a work around, and also wondering if you'd need your own dedicated wifi in the house to connect all this too

     Owning a few properties myself and as a property manager for other investors I am imagining now the calls I would be getting when this system isn't working properly, batteries die, motorized lock stops working etc, so living in new england with the elements and temperatures we experience I would not recommend this to the owners of the properties I manage 

    I have an up down style 2 family with a common entry door that sounds very similar to your setup. If your main issue is the tenants leaving the common door wide open and you're worried about vandalism or rain/snow etc getting into your common entry area, you could install self close hinges on the door so it would automatically shut after its been opened which would eliminate that problem 

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    I decided not to go with Ring. The monthly subscription and unreliable wireless connection made it a no deal for me. I have to add that I felt the Ring cameras would attract attention of burglars because they're pricier than other cameras and burglars can make a buck out of selling them. DC government reimburses up to $500 for camera surveillance system after it's registered with the DC Police.

    I'm thinking about the self close hinges. They're a pain when one wants to carry grocery bags inside. I have seen an intercom system that allows tenants to see whose at the front door and open the door from inside of the apartment. The one I looked into is Video Intercom System Multi-Tenant/MT-Series by BEC Integrated Solutions. Have you had any experience with these?

    The price looks reasonable. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.