Time of Rental Listing & Rent Cycle

Time of Rental Listing & Rent Cycle

New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 3 votes

I was unable to list a rental this past summer due to Covid, and plan to list it to be available on Januay 1st. I'm choosing January 1st move-in date so that I can choose either a 6 month or 18 month lease option, giving me a summer vacancy cycle as most interested applicants are during summer. Is listing it as available on January 1st a bad idea during that time of year? Are there any other dates you would suggest between now & January that would work better? Other ideas to get on a summer vacancy cycle?

0Reply
8 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I think wanting to control when people move is going to be frustrating. People move when they want to.  Also, 6 or 18 month lease term will severely limit candidates  and finally trying to rent during the holidays wont be fun either. Suggest you list now 

  • Property Manager · Henderson, NV · Member since 2018 · 501 posts · 317 votes
    6y

    In terms of controlling the lease expirations I would focus more on the lease term rather than the lease start date.  Here in Las Vegas I have had good success listing rental homes at the beginning of the year.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Alexis Marie. I'm confused on why it's been vacant this entire time. Covid? You take extra precautions, but not list it? List it as soon as you can, and pick the lease length and terms that you want. I just renewed a lease and told them it would be 9 months, because I want the lease to end in the summer. They said no problem. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.