Angry Tenant Need Help ASAP

Angry Tenant Need Help ASAP

Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote

I am a new investor and afraid of getting sued. My current tenant is so angry at me and yelled at me. Since she has moved in my property, she has made many complaints regarding plumbing, clogged sinks, leaks, etc. I first lived in this home and turned it into a rental with section 8. I never had problems with the plumbing. Since she moved in this year, she has made about 5 complaints regarding plumbing. I have had plumbers come out to make repairs the next day or two days after complaint. She is now claiming the sink faucet has always been broken and is beligerant that I fix it. When I was at the house for repairing the two toilets and replacing garbage disposal her adult son told me that he would buy a faucet and I said that would be fine. I told him to let me know and I will have the plumber come back to install it. When I was leaving she said that I still needed to replace the faucet and I told her that her son said he would buy it. She was furious. She screamed at me saying I need to pay for it. I dumbly yelled back and told her they broke it and I am not  paying for something they broke and to call me to have the plumber install the new one. A couple days later and I have not heard anything from them. I have called and received no response. I have called and emailed her to schedule the repair and have heard nothing back. What do I do? I do not want to get sued or have them trash my property. What do I do? I feel extremely uneasy and really need help. Do you any advice? What would you do?

0Reply
78 views

Most Popular Reply

Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
5y

@Jackie Dean don't worry about losing your property over some low-life gone crazy tenant. That does not happen. And it not being in an LLC means squat. I have properties in my name and in LLC's. Take out a liability insurance policy-cost is minimal and it will give you peace of mind. At this point ignore her as best you can..........she is trying to train you-train her instead. You could document her behavior in an email to the section 8 case worker, and copy the tenant. The case worker will be working even if the office is closed.

Low life people with no social graces are always hard for us civilized folk to deal with. Fortunately she is Section 8 and not writing any rent checks. Keep that in mind. All the best!

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Jackie Dean I would call her case worker at Section 8 and tell them the tenant is being belligerent and needs to have a talk. Don't worry about being sued, that very rarely happens, worry about the abuse instead. Too many drugs or not enough drugs, too much alcohol or not enough. All the best!

  • Mary CroninPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Crescent Mills, CA · Member since 2010 · 127 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    Here's a quote from Dave Lindahl's booklet The 23 Most Costly Mistakes Investors Make, and How to Avoid Them (maybe 2011) ... 

    "When someone used to call my office for a repair, I estimated how much that repair would cost and asked him or her to have payment ready when the maintenance man got there. It's amazing how many clogged toilets became unclogged before the maintenance man got there! It's also amazing how tenants seemed to be able to fix a number of other minor issues that arose after that."

    My friend had a tenant that dumped more than a pound of pasta down the kitchen sink. The plumber she called refused to let her pay him - said the tenant had to - they caused the problem and they should fix it. Unusual for a vendor, but still enlightening. 

    I would think this might solve your problem. 

    Besides, wouldn't a washer be appropriate to repair a leaky faucet (rather than replacing it?) 

    You need to learn to control your tenant. Stop fearing being sued, it affects you more than the tenant. 

    Have you taken care of asset protection? (LLC, appropriate insurance or corporation etc.) If not, see your attorney.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    @Jackie Dean

    I think you may have jumped into a difficult tenant class that's going to take work for you to learn how to manage. You also seem to have managed to vet and put in a real winner. Really, I can't have any sort of useful opinion about your plumbing from afar. But you had to repair two toilets in the house at the same time? What, were they held together with masking tape to begin with? What's wrong with the kitchen faucet after five plumbing calls?

    It all sounds curious. Make sure the rental property is in a decent operating condition, then figure out what, if anything, the tenant is doing that's so hard on the fixtures.

  • Rental Property Investor · NorCal · Member since 2018 · 399 posts · 222 votes
    5y

    If they actually broke it rather than wear and tear broke it, then it's on them. I have replaced such items but hold it out against their deposit when they leave if I can't get them to pay for it.

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    @Jackie Dean I would call her case worker at Section 8 and tell them the tenant is being belligerent and needs to have a talk. Don't worry about being sued, that very rarely happens, worry about the abuse instead. Too many drugs or not enough drugs, too much alcohol or not enough. All the best!

    Thank you so much for the advice. The problem with her case worker is he is almost non existent. I started noticing problems with her before and when I emailed him he takes a few days to respond IF he responds. And with covid the offices are closed.

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mary Cronin:

    Here's a quote from Dave Lindahl's booklet The 23 Most Costly Mistakes Investors Make, and How to Avoid Them (maybe 2011) ... 

    "When someone used to call my office for a repair, I estimated how much that repair would cost and asked him or her to have payment ready when the maintenance man got there. It's amazing how many clogged toilets became unclogged before the maintenance man got there! It's also amazing how tenants seemed to be able to fix a number of other minor issues that arose after that."

    My friend had a tenant that dumped more than a pound of pasta down the kitchen sink. The plumber she called refused to let her pay him - said the tenant had to - they caused the problem and they should fix it. Unusual for a vendor, but still enlightening. 

    I would think this might solve your problem. 

    Besides, wouldn't a washer be appropriate to repair a leaky faucet (rather than replacing it?) 

    You need to learn to control your tenant. Stop fearing being sued, it affects you more than the tenant. 

    Have you taken care of asset protection? (LLC, appropriate insurance or corporation etc.) If not, see your attorney.

    Thank you. That is a really a good point. I think I'm afraid because I'm starting to finally make money and build equity in this home and am scared of losing it. The property is in my name and not an LLC, because I bought it with a VA loan. I did just increase the liability coverage and am getting quotes for an umbrella policy. Do you have any recommendations?

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    @Jackie Dean

    I think you may have jumped into a difficult tenant class that's going to take work for you to learn how to manage. You also seem to have managed to vet and put in a real winner. Really, I can't have any sort of useful opinion about your plumbing from afar. But you had to repair two toilets in the house at the same time? What, were they held together with masking tape to begin with? What's wrong with the kitchen faucet after five plumbing calls?

    It all sounds curious. Make sure the rental property is in a decent operating condition, then figure out what, if anything, the tenant is doing that's so hard on the fixtures.

     Yup, you're right.....unfortunately. I thought I screened well. I had her pay for the background check and called current and previous landlord and neither had complaints...but I know there has to be more that I can do to better prepare myself next time. The home was built in 2004. When I lived there I never had problems, I thought the home was fine. When I kept getting repairs I assumed they were extremely unlucky or just hard on the property. Some of the repairs (1 toilet and garbage disposal) were old, but other repairs were not normal wear and tear according to the plumber.

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @David de Luna:

    If they actually broke it rather than wear and tear broke it, then it's on them. I have replaced such items but hold it out against their deposit when they leave if I can't get them to pay for it.

     Do you tell them and document that it is coming from their security deposit or wait until they move?

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jackie Dean:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    @Jackie Dean

    I think you may have jumped into a difficult tenant class that's going to take work for you to learn how to manage. You also seem to have managed to vet and put in a real winner. Really, I can't have any sort of useful opinion about your plumbing from afar. But you had to repair two toilets in the house at the same time? What, were they held together with masking tape to begin with? What's wrong with the kitchen faucet after five plumbing calls?

    It all sounds curious. Make sure the rental property is in a decent operating condition, then figure out what, if anything, the tenant is doing that's so hard on the fixtures.

     Yup, you're right.....unfortunately. I thought I screened well. I had her pay for the background check and called current and previous landlord and neither had complaints...but I know there has to be more that I can do to better prepare myself next time. The home was built in 2004. When I lived there I never had problems, I thought the home was fine. When I kept getting repairs I assumed they were extremely unlucky or just hard on the property. Some of the repairs (1 toilet and garbage disposal) were old, but other repairs were not normal wear and tear according to the plumber.

     Then this is a situation of extremes, Jackie. The house was built in 2004. There's no way these sorts of things should be happening after 16 years of owner-occupancy, however negligent the tenant may argue that you were on regular maintenance when you lived there. I own hundred-year-old properties that are far more resilient. Toilets don't die in 16 years, unless you had a new sort of low-usage one with a bad siphoning system -- lots of those were installed back in 2004. Garbage disposals, OK, sure, but that's why a lot of LLs take the disposals out of rentals and the ones that don't are handymen and carry around tools to free them up them in our regular maintenance toolboxes.

    Kitchen faucets? No. But some of the single-handed designs are pretty fragile. So let's say the physical condition of the house doesn't warrant this kind of nit-picking from a Section 8 tenant. What else could you have done in the vetting of this tenant?

    Jackie, I would have hit social media and local public records in addition to a background check, I always do. Never trust what the l current landlord says (I know you called a previous LL as well, so this is not a criticism, just pointing this out for others). But you can learn an extraordinary amount about people and who they're close to from social media these days. There's almost always one idiot in the family who can't be bothered with FB privacy settings, for instance. You might have lowered the probability that you would get what you have. I can't think of anything else beyond what you've done.

    What do you do now? There's nothing to do but wait out the lease. At least she isn't doing anything to damage your home, and knowing that she's on Section 8, she won't easily do so and thereby give up her seat on the gravy train. The abusive screaming has to stop. Learning how to stop it is one of the skills you're going to need for landlording. When that woman speaks to you in that manner, there has to be a knowledge and a promise in your eyes and in your bearing as you respond that tells her she's going to eventually regret it. You will need to develop that look if to doesn't come naturally. I'm glad you're here on BiggerPockets, watch the forums and look for common answers to these questions.

    You have a study project now. Read up on every scrap of landlord-tenant law in your area that you can. Spend money to consult with lawyers. Think of it as your tuition. Find out exactly what's within the scope of the law and what isn't when dealing with this woman. This will also help your confidence when you deal with this woman.

    Lastly, again and again, as much as you can, try to put yourself into this woman's shoes. Try to understand how she thinks. I'm not saying everything that she does is pardonable, or that you should even forgive any of it. But look past the reasons why you feel the way you do and why she might feel the way she does to understand the mindset. A significant majority of landlords who do well down here in C/D class have been in their tenants' shoes at some point growing up. I don't know if you have. if you haven't, it's going to take work to learn how to step into her shoes.

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Jackie Dean:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    @Jackie Dean

    I think you may have jumped into a difficult tenant class that's going to take work for you to learn how to manage. You also seem to have managed to vet and put in a real winner. Really, I can't have any sort of useful opinion about your plumbing from afar. But you had to repair two toilets in the house at the same time? What, were they held together with masking tape to begin with? What's wrong with the kitchen faucet after five plumbing calls?

    It all sounds curious. Make sure the rental property is in a decent operating condition, then figure out what, if anything, the tenant is doing that's so hard on the fixtures.

     Yup, you're right.....unfortunately. I thought I screened well. I had her pay for the background check and called current and previous landlord and neither had complaints...but I know there has to be more that I can do to better prepare myself next time. The home was built in 2004. When I lived there I never had problems, I thought the home was fine. When I kept getting repairs I assumed they were extremely unlucky or just hard on the property. Some of the repairs (1 toilet and garbage disposal) were old, but other repairs were not normal wear and tear according to the plumber.

     Then this is a situation of extremes, Jackie. The house was built in 2004. There's no way these sorts of things should be happening after 16 years of owner-occupancy, however negligent the tenant may argue that you were on regular maintenance when you lived there. I own hundred-year-old properties that are far more resilient. Toilets don't die in 16 years, unless you had a new sort of low-usage one with a bad siphoning system -- lots of those were installed back in 2004. Garbage disposals, OK, sure, but that's why a lot of LLs take the disposals out of rentals and the ones that don't are handymen and carry around tools to free them up them in our regular maintenance toolboxes.

    Kitchen faucets? No. But some of the single-handed designs are pretty fragile. So let's say the physical condition of the house doesn't warrant this kind of nit-picking from a Section 8 tenant. What else could you have done in the vetting of this tenant?

    Jackie, I would have hit social media and local public records in addition to a background check, I always do. Never trust what the l current landlord says (I know you called a previous LL as well, so this is not a criticism, just pointing this out for others). But you can learn an extraordinary amount about people and who they're close to from social media these days. There's almost always one idiot in the family who can't be bothered with FB privacy settings, for instance. You might have lowered the probability that you would get what you have. I can't think of anything else beyond what you've done.

    What do you do now? There's nothing to do but wait out the lease. At least she isn't doing anything to damage your home, and knowing that she's on Section 8, she won't easily do so and thereby give up her seat on the gravy train. The abusive screaming has to stop. Learning how to stop it is one of the skills you're going to need for landlording. When that woman speaks to you in that manner, there has to be a knowledge and a promise in your eyes and in your bearing as you respond that tells her she's going to eventually regret it. You will need to develop that look if to doesn't come naturally. I'm glad you're here on BiggerPockets, watch the forums and look for common answers to these questions.

    You have a study project now. Read up on every scrap of landlord-tenant law in your area that you can. Spend money to consult with lawyers. Think of it as your tuition. Find out exactly what's within the scope of the law and what isn't when dealing with this woman. This will also help your confidence when you deal with this woman.

    Lastly, again and again, as much as you can, try to put yourself into this woman's shoes. Try to understand how she thinks. I'm not saying everything that she does is pardonable, or that you should even forgive any of it. But look past the reasons why you feel the way you do and why she might feel the way she does to understand the mindset. A significant majority of landlords who do well down here in C/D class have been in their tenants' shoes at some point growing up. I don't know if you have. if you haven't, it's going to take work to learn how to step into her shoes.

    Yeah, I thought it would be perfect because it is relatively new. I'll have the plumber take a look at the other toilet while I'm there next time to see if it has that. And I just saw that about the garbage disposal, being a good item to remove to limit things that need repairs often. Looking at social media is a great idea, I never thought about that. You do a public record search? Wow. Definitely adding that one. Yeah my personality does not handle it well....I tried to let her vent and remain professional by being quiet.....and then I snapped. I feel stupid for saying this is hard when I have dealt with way worse, but I think just knowing I'm not sure is making me too timid. Thanks for these tips, I really appreciate it! 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    @Jackie Dean

    It's not particularly difficult to do a county and state record search in Allegheny County, where Pittsburgh is. I just spent some time tinkering on the computer and local legal forums.

    It's not always a bad thing to show you're angry to a tenant, most especially when they're being obnoxious, or are obviously in the wrong, or have lied to you in some way. One of my rules, for instance, is never to let a tenant get away with a lie that can be proven to be a lie. Let me explain: in my personal understanding of the world, men don't lie. Even the hint of a lie is an embarrassment that can barely be borne. Nobody needs to beat me over the head with my lies for me to regret them. I still cringe at the memory of stupid little lies I told as a child.

    But for quite a few of the people you're going to be dealing with down in C/D class, lying is their default position in life, lying is how they raise their kids, lying is all they know and all they'll ever know. There are no truthtellers and liars, there are just bad liars and good liars, and good liars deserve more respect than bad liars. Call it what you will, prison mentality, slum mentality, the law of the jungle.

    You have to call these people out when you find them. You can't simply hint at their lies or be coy in any way about it. You have to expose your understanding of their lie in full, make them acknowledge it, make them grovel in shame. Otherwise they'll walk away from any discussion with you about it and pat themselves on the back for being so clever as to get away with a lie. And understand, these people are going to call you certifiably paranoid and crazy suspicious when you first mention any suspicion whatever. These are not particularly bad things to be considered down in C/D class -- these people's drug dealers certainly know that well. It's certainly better in their eyes to be seen as a paranoid than it is to be seen as gullible and trusting.

    I think you're right, when your feet are firmly on the ground in tenant law, you'll really be able to have these discussions more easily.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Jackie Dean don't worry about losing your property over some low-life gone crazy tenant. That does not happen. And it not being in an LLC means squat. I have properties in my name and in LLC's. Take out a liability insurance policy-cost is minimal and it will give you peace of mind. At this point ignore her as best you can..........she is trying to train you-train her instead. You could document her behavior in an email to the section 8 case worker, and copy the tenant. The case worker will be working even if the office is closed.

    Low life people with no social graces are always hard for us civilized folk to deal with. Fortunately she is Section 8 and not writing any rent checks. Keep that in mind. All the best!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    @Jackie Dean

    I have to second what @Bjorn Ahlblad just said. Small local landlords who obviously give a damn almost never get sued successfully when they haven't done anything wrong or negligent. It's really hard for a total idiot to end up as a local magistrate. The guys who sell the LLCs throw scare scenario after scare scenario in your face, but that's not how America works (just yet).

  • Mary CroninPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Crescent Mills, CA · Member since 2010 · 127 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    A question and a thought - is tenant on a lease? If only month-to-month, give her a notice to vacate and find a different tenant, assuming it's allowed. 

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 115 posts · 43 votes
    5y

    Here is something to consider. Section 8 tenants are not putting down a deposit. I don’t think they are anyway. However, the next time she give you trouble simply tell her, “ your repairs are being billed to your tenant account in the event you do not pay I will backcharge section 8 for the full amount. When you leave this place which you will be upon the termination of your lease that amount will need paid to section 8 before they let you into your next free or $34 month place. 

    NOW write up a memo and send it registered mail outlining what the potential costs of clogged toilets and plumbing repairs. Drains do not just clog. By there nature they take turds fine. Use industry averages for cost estimates of the price of repairs you'll make on her behalf. Be clear they will be billed to her and HUD.

    If a tenant does damage to a property document it. They can not get a new place until it’s paid. 

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 589 posts · 251 votes
    5y

    Does your plumber believe it is them causing the issues? If so then you can use that invoice and charge them for it. Unfortunately it is hard to keep your feelings out of it, keep your game face on and tell them how it is. With section 8 you can contact the housing authority and let them know how she is talking to you. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Henrico, VA · Member since 2019 · 265 posts · 155 votes
    5y

    @Jackie Dean Let me add 2points to consider. Things will be so much better when this tenant is gone. Trying to figure out a way to get there legally and fairly but soon if possible...once you do and find a new tenant, I bet you will be surprised how much easier it all is. Second point is to keep and provide written documentation along the way. That will help you. I've had terrible tenants (not too many thankfully!) and have always been amazed once they're gone, how much better things are and the realization that no its not the property after all.

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    @Jackie Dean

    It's not particularly difficult to do a county and state record search in Allegheny County, where Pittsburgh is. I just spent some time tinkering on the computer and local legal forums.

    It's not always a bad thing to show you're angry to a tenant, most especially when they're being obnoxious, or are obviously in the wrong, or have lied to you in some way. One of my rules, for instance, is never to let a tenant get away with a lie that can be proven to be a lie. Let me explain: in my personal understanding of the world, men don't lie. Even the hint of a lie is an embarrassment that can barely be borne. Nobody needs to beat me over the head with my lies for me to regret them. I still cringe at the memory of stupid little lies I told as a child.

    But for quite a few of the people you're going to be dealing with down in C/D class, lying is their default position in life, lying is how they raise their kids, lying is all they know and all they'll ever know. There are no truthtellers and liars, there are just bad liars and good liars, and good liars deserve more respect than bad liars. Call it what you will, prison mentality, slum mentality, the law of the jungle.

    You have to call these people out when you find them. You can't simply hint at their lies or be coy in any way about it. You have to expose your understanding of their lie in full, make them acknowledge it, make them grovel in shame. Otherwise they'll walk away from any discussion with you about it and pat themselves on the back for being so clever as to get away with a lie. And understand, these people are going to call you certifiably paranoid and crazy suspicious when you first mention any suspicion whatever. These are not particularly bad things to be considered down in C/D class -- these people's drug dealers certainly know that well. It's certainly better in their eyes to be seen as a paranoid than it is to be seen as gullible and trusting.

    I think you're right, when your feet are firmly on the ground in tenant law, you'll really be able to have these discussions more easily.

    Yeah, I'm going to need to meditate on this one.

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    @Jackie Dean don't worry about losing your property over some low-life gone crazy tenant. That does not happen. And it not being in an LLC means squat. I have properties in my name and in LLC's. Take out a liability insurance policy-cost is minimal and it will give you peace of mind. At this point ignore her as best you can..........she is trying to train you-train her instead. You could document her behavior in an email to the section 8 case worker, and copy the tenant. The case worker will be working even if the office is closed.

    Low life people with no social graces are always hard for us civilized folk to deal with. Fortunately she is Section 8 and not writing any rent checks. Keep that in mind. All the best! 

    Okay, that makes me feel better. I've seen a few people talk about LLC's, and some people made them seem critical. Why do you have some properties in an LLC and others not? Is it better in certain situations?

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mary Cronin:

    A question and a thought - is tenant on a lease? If only month-to-month, give her a notice to vacate and find a different tenant, assuming it's allowed. 

    Unfortunately, I had to do a one year lease for the first year with the Housing Authority. After the first year, it turns into a month to month agreement, but I have to give the Housing Authority and tenant 90 days notice if I do not renew. Yes, I want out now. She told me she's leaving, but of course when I contact her she doesn't respond. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    Talk to her case worker.  you said he doesn't always respond-make sure the message stresses the urgency of this and what happened.  Have a list ready of all the repairs you've had to do and remind him that you lived there for many years with no problems and the place is less than 20 years old.  Tell him, she needs to find new accommodation as you are not comfortable going there as she is belligerent.   If they won't let you get out of the lease, then when the lease is up tell them you are not renewing it.  Your tenant won't want to get on the bad side of section 8.  I'd also get contact info for her son as she seems to be reasonable and perhaps he can get the contact person.

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Marcus Geiser:

    Here is something to consider. Section 8 tenants are not putting down a deposit. I don’t think they are anyway. However, the next time she give you trouble simply tell her, “ your repairs are being billed to your tenant account in the event you do not pay I will backcharge section 8 for the full amount. When you leave this place which you will be upon the termination of your lease that amount will need paid to section 8 before they let you into your next free or $34 month place. 

    NOW write up a memo and send it registered mail outlining what the potential costs of clogged toilets and plumbing repairs. Drains do not just clog. By there nature they take turds fine. Use industry averages for cost estimates of the price of repairs you'll make on her behalf. Be clear they will be billed to her and HUD.

    If a tenant does damage to a property document it. They can not get a new place until it’s paid. 

    She paid a deposit or received help from a program that she gave to me for the deposit. I'm not sure, a few people I met when I showed the home said they could get up to 1 month or 2 month's rent for a security deposit depending on the program they are on. Can I bill HUD? I like the way you worded the response. Thank you, I'll use that.

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Zachary Ray:

    Does your plumber believe it is them causing the issues? If so then you can use that invoice and charge them for it. Unfortunately it is hard to keep your feelings out of it, keep your game face on and tell them how it is. With section 8 you can contact the housing authority and let them know how she is talking to you. 

    I only recently started asking when I felt the complaints were becoming excessive. The last few calls have had multiple problems each call. The first two clogs I figured maybe it was from when I lived there because the first complaint was made approximately 2-3 months in and it was clogged sinks. I think next time I'll have a plumber make sure all sinks are clear and checked by them before the tenant moves in. I need to see how to get help from the Housing Authority because her case worker is not helping or atleast not telling me if he is. He told me he doesn't get involved with tenant disputes. And when I ask about the extra paperwork they need on their end with terminating her lease early he hasn't answered in almost a week. 

  • Realtor · Southeast Michigan · Member since 2017 · 232 posts · 180 votes
    5y

    Talk to a lawyer. Understand your rights. Know what you can & cant do legally, and stay on the right side of that line.

    Dont worry about being sued, everyone gets sued. Make sure you can defend yourself & win.

    Your lawyer should explain how to best prepare for that.


    Good luck!

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Alex Forest:

    @Jackie Dean Let me add 2points to consider. Things will be so much better when this tenant is gone. Trying to figure out a way to get there legally and fairly but soon if possible...once you do and find a new tenant, I bet you will be surprised how much easier it all is. Second point is to keep and provide written documentation along the way. That will help you. I've had terrible tenants (not too many thankfully!) and have always been amazed once they're gone, how much better things are and the realization that no its not the property after all.

    I hope so. How do you know what to document or do you write everything down? When you make repairs do you email them anything for their records? I started going with a form that I fill out, writing down anything I see and that the plumber says is wrong and was the cause of the problem. And the last time she said she wants a copy of anything I'm writing down or anything I have her sign. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.