Angry Tenant Need Help ASAP

Angry Tenant Need Help ASAP

Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote

I am a new investor and afraid of getting sued. My current tenant is so angry at me and yelled at me. Since she has moved in my property, she has made many complaints regarding plumbing, clogged sinks, leaks, etc. I first lived in this home and turned it into a rental with section 8. I never had problems with the plumbing. Since she moved in this year, she has made about 5 complaints regarding plumbing. I have had plumbers come out to make repairs the next day or two days after complaint. She is now claiming the sink faucet has always been broken and is beligerant that I fix it. When I was at the house for repairing the two toilets and replacing garbage disposal her adult son told me that he would buy a faucet and I said that would be fine. I told him to let me know and I will have the plumber come back to install it. When I was leaving she said that I still needed to replace the faucet and I told her that her son said he would buy it. She was furious. She screamed at me saying I need to pay for it. I dumbly yelled back and told her they broke it and I am not  paying for something they broke and to call me to have the plumber install the new one. A couple days later and I have not heard anything from them. I have called and received no response. I have called and emailed her to schedule the repair and have heard nothing back. What do I do? I do not want to get sued or have them trash my property. What do I do? I feel extremely uneasy and really need help. Do you any advice? What would you do?

0Reply
80 views

Most Popular Reply

Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
5y

@Jackie Dean don't worry about losing your property over some low-life gone crazy tenant. That does not happen. And it not being in an LLC means squat. I have properties in my name and in LLC's. Take out a liability insurance policy-cost is minimal and it will give you peace of mind. At this point ignore her as best you can..........she is trying to train you-train her instead. You could document her behavior in an email to the section 8 case worker, and copy the tenant. The case worker will be working even if the office is closed.

Low life people with no social graces are always hard for us civilized folk to deal with. Fortunately she is Section 8 and not writing any rent checks. Keep that in mind. All the best!

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    In my experience, many Section 8 renters feel entitled and become very demanding. There are some ordinary tenants like this, but Section 8 seems to be more common.

    You have to learn to stand up to tenants rather than taking their abuse. It's animalistic behavior; they see your weakness and start to attack, which makes you shy away even more, which makes them attack more.

    Force her to keep communication in writing. That can provide you the buffer you need to avoid getting emotionally involved.You can respond with short, professional communication and a reminder that you won't put up with her abuse.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Talk to her case worker.  you said he doesn't always respond-make sure the message stresses the urgency of this and what happened.  Have a list ready of all the repairs you've had to do and remind him that you lived there for many years with no problems and the place is less than 20 years old.  Tell him, she needs to find new accommodation as you are not comfortable going there as she is belligerent.   If they won't let you get out of the lease, then when the lease is up tell them you are not renewing it.  Your tenant won't want to get on the bad side of section 8.  I'd also get contact info for her son as she seems to be reasonable and perhaps he can get the contact person.

    Do you know if they ever swap out case workers? I'll try to stress the urgency, I just don't get the impression he cares. Yes, you're right I'll get her son's contact info. 

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @DJ M.:

    Talk to a lawyer. Understand your rights. Know what you can & cant do legally, and stay on the right side of that line.

    Dont worry about being sued, everyone gets sued. Make sure you can defend yourself & win.

    Your lawyer should explain how to best prepare for that.


    Good luck!

    "Everyone gets sued"??? I'm going to need some tums, lol. Do you have a lawyer already on standby before anything happens or do you find one if something happens? How do you know if the lawyer is effective? I met with one, but he seemed kinda scummy.

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    In my experience, many Section 8 renters feel entitled and become very demanding. There are some ordinary tenants like this, but Section 8 seems to be more common.

    You have to learn to stand up to tenants rather than taking their abuse. It's animalistic behavior; they see your weakness and start to attack, which makes you shy away even more, which makes them attack more.

    Force her to keep communication in writing. That can provide you the buffer you need to avoid getting emotionally involved.You can respond with short, professional communication and a reminder that you won't put up with her abuse.

    Those are good points. How do you maintain control? I feel that when they first moved in things were good, but these past few months gradually turned. And I really do not understand it. After a few repairs, I stopped all small talk (the how are you and etc.) from annoyance. So I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have been friendly from the beginning. Another problem is she claims she can't email. She is an older lady. I started having her send in repairs/complaints to my email. She would still try and call, but I would send her to my email. Is that wrong? When your tenants need a repair,  how do they let you know?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jackie Dean:
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    In my experience, many Section 8 renters feel entitled and become very demanding. There are some ordinary tenants like this, but Section 8 seems to be more common.

    You have to learn to stand up to tenants rather than taking their abuse. It's animalistic behavior; they see your weakness and start to attack, which makes you shy away even more, which makes them attack more.

    Force her to keep communication in writing. That can provide you the buffer you need to avoid getting emotionally involved.You can respond with short, professional communication and a reminder that you won't put up with her abuse.

    Those are good points. How do you maintain control? I feel that when they first moved in things were good, but these past few months gradually turned. And I really do not understand it. After a few repairs, I stopped all small talk (the how are you and etc.) from annoyance. So I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have been friendly from the beginning. Another problem is she claims she can't email. She is an older lady. I started having her send in repairs/complaints to my email. She would still try and call, but I would send her to my email. Is that wrong? When your tenants need a repair,  how do they let you know?

    A lot of people on this site disagree on this one but I pretty much only communicate through text.  I have a written account of all conversations, I can refer to it when I'm out at home depot getting whatever I need, and it is easier to respond to when I'm at work.  Most people text so I haven't ran into any issues.  This also gives me a chance to choose my wording carefully, there have been more than one instance where I have my message ready to send, cool off for a  second, and send something more professional.  All of these things would work through email as well but text are easier for me to keep track of and less likely for me to miss.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jackie Dean:
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    In my experience, many Section 8 renters feel entitled and become very demanding. There are some ordinary tenants like this, but Section 8 seems to be more common.

    You have to learn to stand up to tenants rather than taking their abuse. It's animalistic behavior; they see your weakness and start to attack, which makes you shy away even more, which makes them attack more.

    Force her to keep communication in writing. That can provide you the buffer you need to avoid getting emotionally involved.You can respond with short, professional communication and a reminder that you won't put up with her abuse.

    Those are good points. How do you maintain control? I feel that when they first moved in things were good, but these past few months gradually turned. And I really do not understand it. After a few repairs, I stopped all small talk (the how are you and etc.) from annoyance. So I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have been friendly from the beginning. Another problem is she claims she can't email. She is an older lady. I started having her send in repairs/complaints to my email. She would still try and call, but I would send her to my email. Is that wrong? When your tenants need a repair,  how do they let you know?

    I recommend getting a Google voice number that is strictly for tenant communication. They call in and are instructed to leave a message. You are immediately notified of the message and you get an email copy of the message. Listen to it and decide if you want to respond now or later. 

    If she doesn't respond to text or email then you are limited to snail mail. She'll have to get with the times or anticipate delays due to her limited communication abilities.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jackie Dean:
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Talk to her case worker.  you said he doesn't always respond-make sure the message stresses the urgency of this and what happened.  Have a list ready of all the repairs you've had to do and remind him that you lived there for many years with no problems and the place is less than 20 years old.  Tell him, she needs to find new accommodation as you are not comfortable going there as she is belligerent.   If they won't let you get out of the lease, then when the lease is up tell them you are not renewing it.  Your tenant won't want to get on the bad side of section 8.  I'd also get contact info for her son as she seems to be reasonable and perhaps he can get the contact person.

    Do you know if they ever swap out case workers? I'll try to stress the urgency, I just don't get the impression he cares. Yes, you're right I'll get her son's contact info. 

    If he doesn't respond, find out who his supervisor is.

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 846 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jackie Dean:

    I am a new investor and afraid of getting sued. My current tenant is so angry at me and yelled at me. Since she has moved in my property, she has made many complaints regarding plumbing, clogged sinks, leaks, etc. I first lived in this home and turned it into a rental with section 8. I never had problems with the plumbing. Since she moved in this year, she has made about 5 complaints regarding plumbing. I have had plumbers come out to make repairs the next day or two days after complaint. She is now claiming the sink faucet has always been broken and is beligerant that I fix it. When I was at the house for repairing the two toilets and replacing garbage disposal her adult son told me that he would buy a faucet and I said that would be fine. I told him to let me know and I will have the plumber come back to install it. When I was leaving she said that I still needed to replace the faucet and I told her that her son said he would buy it. She was furious. She screamed at me saying I need to pay for it. I dumbly yelled back and told her they broke it and I am not  paying for something they broke and to call me to have the plumber install the new one. A couple days later and I have not heard anything from them. I have called and received no response. I have called and emailed her to schedule the repair and have heard nothing back. What do I do? I do not want to get sued or have them trash my property. What do I do? I feel extremely uneasy and really need help. Do you any advice? What would you do?

     Contact the section 8 representative assigned to them and discuss the issues. 

    Additionally you will learn over time that you'll be threatened to be sued in this industry many times by many people. Usually over very stupid things. I had someone say they were going to have their lawyer contact me about a broken dishwasher because it's been broken since Saturday (It was the Tuesday right after and we had dispatched a contractor they just didn't get to it yet). 

    As long as you do the right thing and dispatch promptly there's nothing more you can do. They can huff and puff all that they want but even if you did go to court as long as you did what you were supposed to do no bad will come to you. 

    I tell tenants all the time when they are being unreasonable that if they'd like to pay their lawyer $150 to draft a letter and send it to me they are more than welcome to. It will end up in the trash. Then if they'd like to pay a lawyer $500 to meet in court then I am more than happy to pay my lawyer $500 to also meet them in court. And then the lease says that if I win then they have to pay my attorney's court fees. So then all that will come of them going to court is a bunch of wasted time by them, their lawyer, and my lawyer, of which they will have to pay the bill for. 

    Now obviously if someone is a slum lord A LOT of bad can come to you. However if you have prudent operations to make sure the property is in good condition (inspections, routine maintenance, etc), follow the law as it pertains to landlord/tenant relations in your area, and dispatch maintenance in a reasonable time frame the threat of law suits and all the screaming is just hot air. 

    Also, for what it's worth when I'm on the phone if they scream at me I usually tell them that if they don't stop I am going to hang up the phone and they can contact me by text or email only moving forward. If they keep going I repeat that and tell them that I will count down from 5 and if they aren't going to stop yelling and have a normal conversation then I am done with the call. They normally don't stop so I count down from 5 and then hang up . . . It certainly annoys them, but I usually don't get to that point because I keep as much communication written as possible. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.