Knob and Tube in Rental Property

Knob and Tube in Rental Property

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hi everyone. I have knob and tube wiring for some of my lights and outlets in my future rental property. The house has 2 panels. The first-panel label states that the breaker panel is rated 40 circuits. There are 40 openings. There are 12 overcurrent
devices in the panel. Circuit breakers. Main Breaker Amps = 200. The second-panel label states that the breaker panel is rated 24 circuits. There are 20 openings. There are 17 overcurrent devices in the panel. Circuit breakers. Main Breaker Amps = 70. TO change all of the knob and tube I got an estimate for 8k. Should I replace it all of just replace everything other than the ceiling lights wiring? Any suggestions will help. Thanks. 

1Reply
28 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sterman, MI · Member since 2017 · 378 posts · 306 votes
    5y

    I would replace all knob & tube wiring. If you can do it yourself you can save a bundle. Or hire a handyman that knows wiring.

  • Insurance Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 63 posts · 27 votes
    5y

    @David Ibrahim As this will one of the things your insurance agent will ask about when working on your coverage. If they mention this as a concern. Please let them known if you have plans to update the wiring once you are the owner of the property. This may help put insurance underwriters at ease when considering binding coverage. They may issue the policy with a condition of "proof of work completion within a specific date (i.e. within 60-90 days). I'm with @Jim S. on this one. If you can replace it all, do it. Best of luck. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.