New to Real Estate · Pawnee, IL · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
Hello Bigger Pockets!
I am currently house hacking a single-family home and am renting out my additional rooms to two roommates. Due to the increase in positive COVID-19 cases as of late, I have been thinking how best to approach a future situation where one of us tested positive for the virus. In this scenario, should I be responsible for the health and safety of my other roommate(s) when it comes to COVID-19? Both of my roommates and myself have family close that they could possibly stay with. Part of me feels that to be a good landlord I should allow the other two parties that are not sick to move out for 14 days free of charge, allowing the sick roommate to quarantine in the house. The other part of me feels that my roommates and myself have assumed the risk of living with each other when the lease was signed. I also feel that any family members would be reluctant to allow any of us to stay with them because of the possibility of exposure prior to the positive test results. I would appreciate any advice that could be given on this topic.
I do not currently have any addendums to my lease agreement addressing this issue, but plan to incorporate some following this lease term.
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
I think you’ve gotten some good responses, my addition would be to have the conversation as a group BEFORE someone gets sick. Try to come to agreement about testing, isolation, etc before hand so it doesn’t feel like you’re singling out that sick person.
Agree upon sharing if someone feels sick. Will you share the test results? Etc. write it down in a few bullets and have everyone sign it. Doubtful it would stand up in court, but you’ll all at least be on the same page if something does happen.
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
5y
I guess that would be a great idea or the person who is positive with Covid may stay somewhere else for self isolation. Maybe not with family members. Probably if your room has its own bathroom, you may just stay in your room. Never share utensils and sanitize your place.
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
5y
Well, how do you feel about your roommate living in your house for 14 days while you bunk on your parent's couch and your other roommate asks for half a month of compensation? Not something I would like, that's for sure. In a house with shared common space, if anyone comes down with COVID they should really isolate elsewhere but whether you can enforce that is an entirely different matter.
I don't know if there's a good answer to this question. Clearly someone is going to be put out in that scenario. If it's possible to quarantine off part of the house, that might be the best solution.
New to Real Estate · Pawnee, IL · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
5y
Aigo, thank you for your help. My property is a 3 bed 1 bath home, so staying isolated to one room is not feasible because of the shared bathroom. Seeing as how family members probably wouldn’t be thrilled about allowing a possibly exposed person stay on their couch, the only other option I had thought of would be a hotel. I don’t feel that it would be my obligation to cover the expenses for my roommate(s) to stay in a hotel for 2 weeks. In a similar situation, If one of us had gotten sick with a cold or the flu, I think the idea of paying for the others to stay in a hotel would be absurd. In your opinion, would it be acceptable to let everyone in the property know that we will increase efforts to sanitize and practice social distancing, but if they want to move away for 2 weeks they will be liable for all expenses?
New to Real Estate · Pawnee, IL · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
5y
JD, I appreciate your guidance and hope you are having a great day. Same as you, I don’t really want to give up 2 weeks of compensation and my ability to live in the property. I would be fine with accepting the risk as long as we increase sanitization of common areas and practice proper social distancing. I will not be in a situation to speak for my other roommate though. In your opinion, Should I be liable to pay for my other roommate(s) lodging for 14 days or is possible illness a risk that should be assumed by all parties when they agree to sharing a home?
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
I think you’ve gotten some good responses, my addition would be to have the conversation as a group BEFORE someone gets sick. Try to come to agreement about testing, isolation, etc before hand so it doesn’t feel like you’re singling out that sick person.
Agree upon sharing if someone feels sick. Will you share the test results? Etc. write it down in a few bullets and have everyone sign it. Doubtful it would stand up in court, but you’ll all at least be on the same page if something does happen.
Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
5y
Like @Mike McCarthy mentioned, a conversation before anything happens is the best course so everyone can weigh in and understand the expectations. I'd also suggest if something like that happens, that everyone wear masks while they are in the common areas for the 14-day quarantine period. Another thing to keep in mind is you all should quarantine yourselves if someone in the household gets sick. That could be a potential issue if any of you have jobs that are outside the home.
New to Real Estate · Pawnee, IL · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
5y
Thank you for your advice Mike. I will sit down with my roommates and have that conversation. I always appreciate a second opinion and a different perspective on the situation.
New to Real Estate · Pawnee, IL · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
5y
Jennifer, I agree that a conversation with my roommates beforehand will be the best solution to this problem. I will be stocking up on a few more cleaning supplies to be prepared if the situation arises. All of us are students in college currently. Given the large proportion of classes being offered online, I do not foresee any conflicts in this area. I do however understand that if any of us test positive, the lives of the other 2 roommates will be impacted for 14 days. My main concern was what I was obligated to provide my roommate(s) in this case. Everyone has been very helpful in offering advice and clarity in this scenario. Thank you.