Coin Washer/Dryer in 4 Unit or Regular Washer/Dryer?

Coin Washer/Dryer in 4 Unit or Regular Washer/Dryer?

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 1 vote

Hey Bigger Pocket family,

I have a 4 Unit building currently with no washer and dryer from when I bought the building.

Trying to decide between if I should get coin operated washer and dryer or regular washer and dryer.

I pay for water quarterly and monthly electric in the common area in the 4 unit building. I know my water bill will increase for sure with washer.

I see the coin operated washer and dryer people say getting the quarters and the maintenance tough to do on coin operated.

And I know with regular washer and dryer people will wash all day and possibly invite family and friends but easier to replace if broken with so many locations to buy used or new washer and dryer at half or quarter of the price of coin operated machines.

Just wonder what some of the opinions multi family landlords doing for their building or people with history.

Thank you

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 184 votes
5y

What are nearby properties doing? Do they have coin laundry or free wash machines?

There is the income side of it, but also amenity side which should make tenants happy either way, versus having to go offsite for laundry.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Suzanne PlayerPro Member
    Attorney · New York City / Long Island, NY · Member since 2020 · 597 posts · 248 votes
    5y

    Definitely go with the coin operated.  Don’t stress about possible repairs down the road, everything needs to be repaired at some point and the revenue will help pay for it. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    5y

    Coin operated is much expensive but it will create a good revenue for you. On the other hand, you can have normal operated laundry and dryer appliance but you should add a laundry fee per month. 

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 119 posts · 84 votes
    5y

    @Richie Thompson You may want to just buy a used set either for each unit or install in a common area in the basement. The cost of coin operated laundry and the time to go and collect the funds would outweigh the benefit IMO. If you have onsite laundry for the tenants its a way to increase the monthly rent you are charging or added value to entice a tenant to stay long term.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Suzanne Player thanks I’ve been debating back n forth on weather to just increasing rents and adding regular washer and dryer or getting a used set for the coin washer and dryer

    @Aigo Pyles @Adam Azam yeah that also what I was looking at as well. I just know it’s tough now with the evict moratorium so I was kind of hesitant but guess is I was to do it those few months or same rents they’ll like I’m sure.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
    5y

    @Richie Thompson I suggest adding a regular washer and dryer rather than a coin operated one. Your tenants should not have an issue if you increase their rent for free laundry. It will also be easier to buy a new/used washer or dryer rather than managing coin operated ones.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 184 votes
    5y

    What are nearby properties doing? Do they have coin laundry or free wash machines?

    There is the income side of it, but also amenity side which should make tenants happy either way, versus having to go offsite for laundry.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Sharlene Mulchandani thank you that be my mindset on the flip side. Just increasing the rents by $50/unit. And if it breaks down I can just go buy a washer or dryer and replace easier than finding a coin operated on Facebook marketplace or offer up because new ones expensive like $1000/each

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Christopher B. I only talked and seen coin operated in the unit next door. Right now it’s none so I know they’ll be happy with each option for sure especially since it’s been years since one been operating in the building. I’m sure the winter time taking laundry to a from the building to laundry mat and back is tough especially if letting loads pile up. I think I’m leaning towards just adding as amenity and I ping in rent but on flip side I’m thinking of doing coin operated and testing it out and if I don’t like whenever it break replace with regular washer and dryer

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 184 votes
    5y

    Yeah, once you start adding things into Rent, when you advertise your vacancy, yours might appear more expensive, which on the surface, may be for no reason. Potential tenants would have to read the description tu understand why you are higher. They may not always do that.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Christopher B. I understand what you saying so you recommend go the coin operated route instead?

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 184 votes
    5y

    @Richie Thompson

    In my opinion, yes. There are also electronic payment options. We switched to one recently, if you want a reference.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Christopher B. Yea if you can give me that reference yes thank you. Did you buy new or used coin operated washer and dryer?

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 184 votes
    5y

    @Richie Thompson, sent. 

    I inherited two Coin Laundry machines with the building, an older generation (I believe) SpeedQueen, and a Whirlpool dryer.  In three years, the washer has needed no service, and the dryer needed gas coils or something for a couple of hundred dollars.  It should have been under warranty actually, but the issue was fixed on weekend where the vendor couldn't verify the warranty with the manufacturer, and then wouldn't refund after they did verify (ridiculous).  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.