To Section 8 or not to Section 8

To Section 8 or not to Section 8

Real Estate Lender · Napa, CA · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 4 votes

Hi All,

Just wanted to through this out there, get discussion going and hopefully we all learn something new.
So please share your take on Section 8 renters; do you rent to Sec 8 and why or if you don't rent to Sec 8 tell us why not.

I'll share my experience and take on Section 8 along the way.

1Reply
91 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
13y

All my research indicates that Section 8 is only as successful as your screening and operatoin practices, which is true for non-Section 8. If that is the case, why add another layer of administration and bureaucracy to your life?

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Lender · Napa, CA · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Rob K I'm with you on the neighborhood, in WI I advertised for Sec 8 tenants, but in CA I do not, however in one of the neighborhoods in CA I get god amount of calls from Sec 8 tenants anyway, if they check out I rent to them.
    George P. I generally get inspection with in the week. If the property is suitable to rent to non Sec 8 it will pass every time.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    13y

    You must read the Admin Plan (policy) for the S8 office that covers your property. Then hold them accoutable.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:

    While I would like to see the program come to an end and have the tenants actually seek emplyment and be productive, I will take the easy money while it is there.

    Me too. I expect this to happen when pigs fly. Or, when the fat pig sings & flies.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2009 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    I would say it definitely depends case by case house by house, tenant by tenant. I have a property that I have rented out section 8 on 2 separate occasions. In the first the tenant kept a neat house and didn't tear anything up until she started making demands that I make improvements that weren't warranted. When I refused she then became a problem and things went south. The current tenant is an old lady who also keeps the house in good shape and rarely calls me for anything. I actually have to check with her to make sure everything is good with the property. Of course I hope she lives (in my house) forever.

    In my opinion the housing authority employees are worse to deal with than the tenants. The employees aren't of the highest quality and for some reason feel/act as though they are not in the customer service industry. It takes a lot to get anything "paperwork" or otherwise done in a timely fashion and good luck getting the actual person who is handling your file on the phone when needed.

    But you do get higher rents than most would be willing to pay directly out of pocket and the payments do come consistently and on time.

    Hope this helps.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    13y

    I don't accept Section 8, so I am just judging from the "housing wanted" ads. It looks to me like section 8 is now paying less than market rent plus insisting that utilities be included for that low rent.

    The local Section 8 office makes it clear that landlords are "the enemy" and landlords abuse and cheat their darling and deserving clients. They refuse to be called Section 8 and have their clients trained to deny that they are receiving Section 8.

    Who needs it? Not me.

    All the Section 8 applicants I have had have been welfare cheats. Huge incomes, new cars, multiple horses. I also do not need tenants who are skilled at gaming the system. Especially not those given a free lawyer to fight me in court.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.