• Bellefontaine Ohio
Votes |
Rehab tip of the day

Steven Westlake
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Posted Nov 6 2020, 08:57

Let’s start a list of issues with the property it self and how we fixed them:

1. Painted over wall paper - used a belt sander with 60 grit, then a skim coat mud, then normal paint prep.

2. Not enough matching doors - replace closet doors with bifold louvered doors, move other doors around.

3. Always paint before putting in new flooring, this saves covering the floor, and top down if more than one color.

4. Buy appliances from a used appliances store.

5. Change to a non key entrance system, maybe like a motel, this saves changing locks, and tenants making keys for all their buddies.

6. A security camera system outside can make you money by allowing you to charge for pets, prove someone was the party who did the damage, more people than on the lease. And you can list it as a feature.

7. Electric baseboard heat is a cheap way to replace an old furnace that feeds several units which you pay for.

8. Wainscot covers a lot of lower wall issues.

9. Acrylic tubs never rust.

10. Leak detector water shut offs can save a lot of damage that would not get reported.

11. New Plastic windows never need painted.

12. Remove old chimneys that leak, and repair roof, assuming they are used anymore.

13. Add coin op washer and dryer, it’s a feature and a money maker, first one I did returned my investment in less than a year.

14. Mini storage on same or close by property.

Please add all that you can here. Hopefully you learn on my dime, and I learn on yours.

Loading replies...