Condos as rentals: Ways to cut my costs

Condos as rentals: Ways to cut my costs

Investor · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 1 vote

I am usually not attracted to condos, when it comes to rental properties. At the moment, I have a portfolio of condos I am interested in buying. The reason for my interest is because the purchase price/numbers make it a good deal. Even with the HOA fees, they cash flow well and are 100% occupied.

I was thinking about ways to cut my costs with the HOA fees. Some landlords say just include it in the rent. That would drive rents up, which is not good for competition with other condos that are charging less. I think I might be able to get away with some lease options, which would bring a premium rent of $100-$200 more. I think tenants might look at that differently vs just raising the rent. Thoughts?

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    I would never rely on a tenant to pay the HOA. Why not offer seller financing to some of the tenants?

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Theresa Harris I am not relying on the tenants to pay the HOA fees. Sorry if that's what the post sounds like. I would be paying the HOA fees. The more rent I get from the tenants the more I can allocate that towards the HOA fees to cut my expenses. Instead of just increasing the rent the moment I buy it. I would like to offer the tenants a lease option, which could end up bringing premium rent from some units.

    @Theresa Harris

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.