Property in my name converted to a rental property

Property in my name converted to a rental property

MI · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hello BiggerPockets family! Love all the info and shared love on success!

I am buying my first property problem being I’d like to “house hack” any advice on how I should structure the money coming from the “roommates”?

The property is in my name.

Is it smart to open a separate bank account for the money?

-God bless you all thank you for your time!

0Reply
24 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brad HammondBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    5y

    Hi @Miquel Castillo, that is an interesting question. As far as rent deposits go, I would open a personal checking account (these are cheaper than business accounts) with your bank and deposit everything in that.  You will also want a savings account to put everyone's security deposit in.  This is will make it so much easier for bookkeeping and tax purposes.  All bills relating to the property should come out of this account as well (bills, mortgage, repairs, etc.).  

  • MI · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Brad Hammond

    That sounds great!

    Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.