LVP - thin with 12 mil wear layer or thick with 6 mil wear layer?

LVP - thin with 12 mil wear layer or thick with 6 mil wear layer?

Rental Property Investor · Helena, MT · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 117 votes

Good morning,

I'm looking at putting vinyl planks in an upstairs unit in a quadplex (someone lives below).  Location is Montana so they'll be walking in with wet/ snowy shoes. 

I'm debating between:
HD Lifeproof flooring - 7mm product thickness with a 6 mil wear layer  $3.20 list price, I'll get it quoted, probably can get $2.60/2.80 per sq ft

National Builders Choice - 4.5mm product thickness with 12 mil wear layer   $2.60/ sq ft from local flooring company

https://my-nfp.com/wp-content/...

Does the 7mm vs 4.5mm dampen much more noise?  Both have a built-in underlayment

I assume the 12 mil wear layer will be noticeably more wear resistant than 6 mil. 

Curious what other experience has shown? Thanks!

0Reply
64 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Andrew S. I have personally always gone with the cheap stuff from home depot that is about $1.89 a square foot. It doesn't have any sound proofing, but I don't live in the rentals and it looks nice. I am not sure all that extra money is going to help you in this case. 

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Go with the flooring with the highest wear layer. Always assume that tenants will be very hard on the floor and generally the thicker the wear layer, the more durable to wear and tear the floor is

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.