Flipper/Rehabber · Bloomington, IL · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 2 votes
I am currently under contract for tow studio houses and a two car garage for 42k. both rent out for 600 a month with the garage at an extra 100. Each house has its own septic tank and one has an aerator. I have no clue what the difference is but I do know the city is running sewer next door and would like this property to be under sewer as well. What are your thoughts on doing this vs keeping septic? I am nervous property taxes will go up as well (currently 750 comps are 2000). Also are there any good tips to maintaining a septic? I would like to know what YOU would do and why. Thank you!
I'd switch to sewer. Your tenant will be responsible for the monthly sewer bill whereas you are responsible for maintaining the septic system. A pump-out might cost you $300-500 but leach field replacement can be a lot costlier. Also, you've got to make sure the tenants are putting the proper products down the drains. Cotton toilet paper won't break down in the septic, not will female hygiene products. Also. If the sink has a garbage disposal this can cause more frequent pump-outs.
Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
Usually if they lay down a sewer line in front of your house, best case they'll let you wait until the septic collapses and forces you to connect. I think you need to plan on a connect since you'll probably start getting charged for the line with a special assessment anyways.
Usually if they lay down a sewer line in front of your house, best case they'll let you wait until the septic collapses and forces you to connect. I think you need to plan on a connect since you'll probably start getting charged for the line with a special assessment anyways.
Steve, it doesn't seem like they are going to charge us. I am just nervous about when the septic fails or backs up. Do you have any opinion on if it would raise property taxes either? Thank you for the input!
Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
No clue on IL prop taxes, live in OR.
I don't think it'd affect prop taxes beyond using them as a way to collect for the trunk installation. Call your Bureau of Environmental (fancy name for sewer) Services and ask. Sounds like they'll just wait until the septic collapses and then not issue a replacement permit to force you.
I'd switch to sewer. Your tenant will be responsible for the monthly sewer bill whereas you are responsible for maintaining the septic system. A pump-out might cost you $300-500 but leach field replacement can be a lot costlier. Also, you've got to make sure the tenants are putting the proper products down the drains. Cotton toilet paper won't break down in the septic, not will female hygiene products. Also. If the sink has a garbage disposal this can cause more frequent pump-outs.
New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 155 posts · 58 votes
5y
if the garage will be doing servicing, better to have sewer. chemicals discharged to septics have been a source of groundwater contamination resulting in cleanups. Lots of dry cleaners and motor vehicle repair shops have caused contamination because of septics.
Real Estate Broker · Moore County, NC · Member since 2020 · 168 posts · 141 votes
5y
Especially if the town/city offers a "no" or reduced tap fee for connecting to the public sewer, I would do that. At some point the septic tank will need some maintenance (pumping, inspecting, repair) and that would be the landlord's $$$.
As a realtor, I get excited when a property has public sewer or public water...there is less for the property owner to worry about and repair. If you rent the property out, the tenant should pay for the sewer/water service.
Of course, if the septic tank/field is only 1-2 years old...that would be a harder choice. If you chose to not connect to the public sewer right now and waited 5-10 years, I'm pretty sure the tap fee would be noticeably higher then.
Rental Property Investor · Nashville TN (nashville, tn) · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 6 votes
5y
I would recommend an effluent filter on the outlet of the septic tank (like Polylok PL-122). This will protect the leach field from debris. They say it can double the life of your leach field. They are cheap to have installed and only need cleaning when the tank is pumped. I have found septic is much cheaper than sewer but run the numbers.
Don’t forget you will probably have a connection charge and/or installation cost of new sewer line from the city connection to your property if you decide to connect. Also make sure you won’t have to pay for the new sewer line whether you use it or not. This happen to another property. The city put a new sewer line in and everyone had to pay for sewer whether they used it or not (150% of water bill).
Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
5y
I'd go ahead and connect to the city sewer line. I did it last year with one rental, the septic was over 50 yrs. old and finally failed on me. $600 permit and $1600 to the plumbers to connect was cheaper than $4,000 for a new septic tank and lines, plus no more maintenance/pump outs.
Where I am, there is a separate fee for sewer (and garbage). How much will it cost you to connect to the city sewer and how old is your current septic? If it is cost effective and you have an older septic, I'd switch. As others said, any extra sewer fees are passed on to the tenants as part of their rent (you pay the actual bill as it is linked to the house).