Tenant and Marijuana

Tenant and Marijuana

Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2011 · 20 posts · 9 votes

Ok so I have a duplex with a top unit short-term rental, and a bottom unit long-term rental.  We are in Seattle, and the bottom unit tenants will frequently sit out on their deck below and smoke marijuana (perfectly legal!), which wafts up to the deck and back rooms of the short-term rental above.  I've been told bluntly that our reviews for the short-term rental are not going to be great from the smell.

Any thoughts on how to reason with the tenants below, given what they are doing is perfectly legal?!

6Reply
113 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 28 votes
5y

@Doug Webb go with me here! LOTS of people who travel to legal states want to partake of lax Cannabis Laws. Why not market the property as “Cannabis Friendly” and RAISE the rent 25-40 a night? You would never have an issue with the smell but rather GLOWING REVIEWS of this amazing space that won’t Fine you $300 for smoking like a chain hotel would?

#cannatravel

#cannatourism

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    It looks like you might get a weed smoker on that top floor lol 😝 

    This one is tricky!

  • Investor · Rogers, AR · Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    5y

    I just addressed this same issue with one of my tenants which has now evolved into dealing within the unit. Rather than fight this in court (and I DO have a no smoking clause in my lease), I waited until their lease came up for renewal and sent them a non renewal notice. That way I don't have to explain why I didn't renew and didn't have to mess with the court. I will end of loosing a little on the tail end, but at this point, I and their neighbors just want them out. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.