Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
Good Morning BP family,
I have a question regarding allowing animals or not. So, I purchased my first rental property in 2019, which was a 6 unit MH park, not the best looking, but a cash cow and great tenants . So, Q2 2020 I set out to expand my business in the middle of the pandemic. Mostly everyone had the opinion that the timing wasn’t right, but I seen a need, built a business case and secure a loan for $600k+to build a new MH community with the capacity for 14 homes. So, now I have all utilities installed, 9 homes and 4 ready to rent. Now, my original business model did not include animals not because don’t I love animals, but because I didn’t allocate space due to layout. However, now I have started promoting and driving traffic to my property management. So, some of the potential customers have animals and I need your advice on the following 1. Managing animals w/out a designated area.
2. Animal impact to property long term (Cost) 3. Creating a animal friendly space ideas or any other feedback.
San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
@Byron Wilson Most high-end mobile home parks allow animals. Though, usually they have to be kept inside. Also, there are restrictions on the types of dogs that can be allowed in the park. You may want to network and talk to other mobile home park owners in your area to get more ideas. Hope that helps!
Two questions come to mind when I read through your problem.
1) Will allowing animals make a major impact to the community and bring better/higher paying tenants? If you feel the answer is yes, then you should figure out a way to include a small community area to take animals out, but not allow people to keep dogs outside. Maybe limit the size of dogs to <35 lbs or some rule as such. If the answer is no you don't feel it would make a significant difference in tenants then don't bother.
2) Do other mobile home communities in your area allow it and is it a a feature that will detract future tenants from wanting to rent there? If the answer is no it won't cause significant lack of future tenants then again don't worry about it.