Old tenant Contracts has no Pets!

2 Replies

Hello BP members,

I am looking for guidance on a situation in regards to pets. I am closing on a 4 plex and received the contracts for each unit. The contract states no pets, the standard 300.00 extra and 50.00 a day after if pet is in unit. As I followed the inspector on inspection every unit had a pet. So what gives? I have not received a pet addendum. I don't want to be the bad guy but contract indicates no pets. Should I get the owner to take care of this before we close? Maybe there are pet deposits and owners have not disclosed? Has anyone ran into this situation before? Thoughts?

Originally posted by @Ray Juarez :

Hello BP members,

I am looking for guidance on a situation in regards to pets. I am closing on a 4 plex and received the contracts for each unit. The contract states no pets, the standard 300.00 extra and 50.00 a day after if pet is in unit. As I followed the inspector on inspection every unit had a pet. So what gives? I have not received a pet addendum. I don't want to be the bad guy but contract indicates no pets. Should I get the owner to take care of this before we close? Maybe there are pet deposits and owners have not disclosed? Has anyone ran into this situation before? Thoughts?

I would share the situation with the owner and ask them if the pet is authorized and if so, get details on the deposit and pet rent. My guess is the owner doesn't know or the pet is actually an emotional support animal. I am not sure how far you want to push it as far as the owner "taking care of it". It is certainly not a deal breaker. Chat with the seller and see what they say, then take if from there.