How much would you deduct for these hardwood floor scratches?

How much would you deduct for these hardwood floor scratches?

Chad HalePro Member
Property Manager / Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 779 posts · 301 votes

A tenant lived in this home in a gated community for 1.5yrs.  The owners are selling otherwise they would have stayed longer.

How much would you deduct from their security deposit for these two floor scratches?  The first two pictures are one scratch in a half arc.  Total room floor space is ~400ish sf, it that matters.

0Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
5y

I would try $10 worth of wood matching markers, but no, I wouldn't charge for that.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Chad Hale I would make no deduction for those. To me that's to be expected.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y

    I would try $10 worth of wood matching markers, but no, I wouldn't charge for that.

  • Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
    5y

    They're wood floors...they're prone to scratches like that. Like @Bill B. said, try the color match markers on it.

  • Chad HalePro Member
    OP
    Property Manager / Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 779 posts · 301 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Bjorn Ahlblad  @Bill B. @Chris Szepessy.  That's what I was thinking too.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Nothing.  Normal wear and tear for that type of flooring.  

  • Member since 2021 · 94 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    That looks like wear and tear. I would not deduct anything for something that small. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I agree the $10 markers are not worth deducting and people will not notice on the walkthrough and it won't hurt your sales price.  If you feel you need to do something above that the correct price to deduct is the price you spend to repair it.  If this isn't something you are willing to hire out and repair this isn't something that should come out of the deposit.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.