Successfully suing tenant/judgements in New York upstate Syracuse

Successfully suing tenant/judgements in New York upstate Syracuse

Peter MorrisseyPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 11 votes

My understanding is that even though there is a moratorium, the tenants are still liable for the debt. Has anyone successfully been able to sue a tenant for back rent? I realize that collecting is another matter, but let's say the tenant likes nice cars and cares about their credit. There is also a service that will supposedly register an unpaid debt with all three credit bureaus. Has anyone used them?  For example: https://www.aoausa.com/secure/... I'm dealing with someone who refuses to communicate and if I go over and ask questions accuses me of harassment, so there is no chance of working together to obtain government relief of some kind. I am out about 10K thus far. Thankfully all my other tenants are paying!

Thank you,

Pete Morrissey

0Reply
23 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    I would talk to a local lawyer.  They absolutely do owe you back rent.  I do not think there is a moratorium on suing someone who owes you money.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.