I need advice! I am fixing up a rental in a B+ area, highly sought after area at that. But the issue I'm having is find a bathtub that will last because it's going in a tile surround. I dont want to have to replace the tub or the tile surround for while. I was looking at acrylic tubs on the medium range of 550 each. The big box tubs seem cheap and wont last. Advice?
Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2019 · 462 posts · 365 votes
5y
You should be fine with any mid-tear drop in bathtub... fiberglass... cast iron... they each have their benefits and draw backs. The tubs from those big box stores will work just fine. I have seen those tubs go into $300K+ homes all the time. ($300K home around here is considered upper middle price point)
Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
acrylic tubs last for 10-15 years on average. In a rental in a B+ area I would expect maybe a little less. Might be good to do research on how much it is locally to maintain that type of tub like fixing cracks, touching up chips etc...
Porcelain cost more but lasts longer but can need glazing from time time as well so research that to locally for longer term care.
If you plan on selling in under 10 years probably doesn't matter although acrylic may crack before you have to glaze. I think looking at care/maintenance costs and aligning those with your goals should bring this into focus for you.
@Scott M. Thanks for the reply. I won't be selling the house, this is my retirement plan. I've been doing lots of tub research and found that midgrade tubs might be the best option for quality and longevity. This is my first time buying a bathtub and I can only find mid grade tubs for $550.00. They are reinforced acrylic tubs with warranty. Is that too expensive for a tub that goes in a rental property? My goal is to pick the one that will last the longest and not cost an arm and a leg.
Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
No, not too expensive. You are not going to get much cheaper (if at all) unless you go into the used market. Sounds like you have done your research and due diligence, congrats on that!